Chapter 6: Leaving

"She fakes a smile and says it's okay. But in reality, she barely made it through the day."
- Anonymous

After slipping out of the guild unnoticed — at least, they hoped it was unnoticed — the three girls hurried through the streets of Magnolia towards Lucy's apartment. As they approached the small but cosy building, Mira let out a sigh that she hadn't realized that she'd been holding. Levy smiled, though slightly unsurely, at their decision to pave a new road for themselves. On the other hand, Lucy, who had been holding back her tears for her friends all this time, finally let go.

The moment that her silver-haired friend closed the light pink door, she let it all go. All the pain, the anger, the sadness, the jealousy — everything. It all came crashing down in a torrent of big crystal tears pouring down her pale face. Levy and Mira were shocked for a moment, but then realized that their friend had been holding back her tears all this time while they had already cried their eyes dry, just so she could comfort them, just so they could feel safe. Upon realizing so, they immediately set out to comfort Lucy, as she had done for them.

"Shhh.... Lu-chan, it's going to be okay..."

"Yeah, we're here for you..."

They guided the crying girl towards her living room and soothed her onto the soft, pink couch. The soft, caring voices of her friends were quickly shadowed by the loud sobs emitting from Lucy's lips. Seeing that words wouldn't work, Mira and Levy looked at each other, nodded for confirmation, and then hugged the crying blonde. They patiently waited for their friend's tears to cease. When they did, the silverette and the bluenette looked up to a pair of still slightly teary chocolate brown eyes. Lucy's eyes.

"T-T-Thank y-you, L-Levy-chan, M-Mira-chan..."

"No problem, Lu-chan!"

"We're best friends, no, sisters, right? We'll always be here for each other!"

The blonde was truly touched by the kindness of her friends. But another thing sprang to mind about the topic of them being close enough to be sisters.

"What about Kagu-chan and Yuki-chan? We haven't contacted them in a while!"

Kagura Mikazuchi. Yukino Aguria. Members of the renowned Sabertooth guild, as Kagura had joined her friend. They, just like Lucy, Levy, and Mira, had fallen in love with two dragon slayers, Sting -- Yukino -- and Rogue -- Kagura -- respectively, but had been, again, just like the three Fairies -- ex-Fairies -- rejected and shunned, first by their crushes, then following closely by their guild. The five girls had bonded through their suffering, often gathering together at Magnolia lake in Magnolia park to talk about their pain, anger, sadness, and more that none of their guild mates were willing to listen to, or even simply care about. Now, they were closer than ever. Having been through thick and thin together, Lucy, Levy, Mira, Kagura, and Yukino, were too close to be called just friends. They were best friends. No, more than that. They were sisters, in heart, mind, and soul.

"Yeah! We have to tell them about Dragon Mating Season!"

"Let's cal-" The excited bluenette was abruptly cut off by the sound of Lucy's apartment door being slammed open. The three girls stood up from where they were sitting on the couch in the living room, prepared for any burglars and the like, but were instead greeted by two blurs of black and white crashing into them.

The two blurs turned out to be a crying Kagura and Yukino.

"Kagu-chan? Yuki-chan? Why are you crying? Who made you cry?" Mira asked gently, her voice slowly increasing in volume until she was almost shouting at the end of her sentence. Well, four sentences.

An almost murderous aura could be felt around the three ex-Fairies as they thought about people making their precious sister cry. Though, it was quickly interrupted by the sound of Kagura's fragile voice. That's when it started to really sink in. Never, and I mean never, had anyone seen the five strongest girls -- physically, mentally, and psychologically -- of formerly Fairy Tail and Sabertooth so sad, so fragile, so..... broken. Sure, the five of them had seen each other crying, had shown their delicate sides, but they'd never seen each other so deeply wounded, so vulnerable, so shattered. This just went to even more so prove their deep connection and the trust that they had built up together, alongside each other.

"R-R-R-Rogue a-and S-Sting s-said......" Kagura seemed to lose her confidence at this point, and Yukino shakily carried on for her.

"T-T-T-T-They s-s-said t-t-t-that..... t-that t-t-t-they h-h-h-h-h-hate u-us..... so we quit the guild." Lucy, Levy, and Mira gasped loudly at the news, horrified.

"The same thing happened to us...." The five girls were all shocked speechless for a moment, before Lucy cracked a sad smile, saying,

"Why don't we leave?"