Chapter 19: Just An Infatuation

"Sometimes, life hurts a lot more than death."

Dedicated to The_DCruz_Missile for giving me the inspiration for this chapter! Thanks friend!

After Erza's heavy question, tension was thick in the air. Before three certain girls yelled out in synchronization.

"I'M NATSU-KUN'S MATE, OBVIOUSLY!!"

"GAJEEL-KUN'S MATE IS TOTALLY ME!!"

"OTHER THAN ME, THERE'S NO ONE FITTING FOR LAXUS-KUN!!"

The boys in question, however, only gave them looks of disgust as they tried to attach themselves to their self-proclaimed mate.

Natsu snarled his last message before following the scent of his mate.

"I'm not your mate. I don't know who it is, but it's definitely not you." His words should've pierced like a dagger through Lisanna's heart, but she didn't feel much pain, loss, or anything a rejected girlfriend should feel. No, she only felt slightly disappointed; something like she hadn't gotten paired up with her friends for a school project, or waited in line for hours to go on a ride at the amusement park only to find out that her height didn't meet the requirements.

Her heart wasn't broken. Her soul wasn't shattered. Her 'red string of fate' wasn't cut.

Was Natsu not the one meant for her? Was it all just an infatuation? Had she just been wrapped up in a childhood fantasy that clouded her mind but wasn't in her heart?

'Yes,' the white-haired mage realized. 'Yes, it was all an infatuation. I never loved Natsu-kun. He was never in my heart, just a thought that clouded my mind.'

Laki and Cana were harboring similar thoughts. As they watched the receding backs of their ex-boyfriends, they realized too late that it was always...

Just an infatuation.