Chapter Two

3/14/17

"Walk two hundred feet and turn left," the navigation directed into my headphones. Down the street and then some, I stepped into the first coffee shop... I took a deep breath, looked around... and noped out of there.

There wasn't any window seating, and the smell of that coffee wasn't what I knew and wanted...

So I tried the next one. And the next. Soon I was far away from my complex, but I didn't care. I needed a coffee shop to somehow replace the perfect one I had left behind.

The last coffee shop within walking distance was a small shop known as Hyrule Coffee. If this one didn't have what I required... I wasn't sure what I would do... Where I could go.

It was getting late. Getting dark...

But as I opened the door to the shop nearly a mile away from my apartment, I knew... this was the one.

The first thing that met my nose was the gloriously heavy scent of Hylia Roast coffee, one that I knew and relied upon to fuel my inspired mind. I glanced to the side and saw two booths in the corner... by the window.

Excitement welled up inside of me. This is it! I thought, this has to be it!

I stepped up to the counter, where there was no line to be seen, and... there was no cashier either...

I looked around the shop but saw no one. The whole place was empty.

There was a little bell on the counter and a sign that instructed anyone to ring it if they needed service.

Hmm... I thought as I reached out and booped the bell. It produced a clear sound that made me smile. Cuteeee.

"What the heck, it's six o'clock."

I leaned to look at a curtain that was blocking off a doorway behind the long counter. Was that a muttered complaint that I just heard?

"...no one should be getting coffee from a shop at six o'clock." The curtain drew back and a young man walked through.

I stared at him. Cuteeeer.

"Can I help you?"

I was biting my lip to keep from laughing at my own thoughts. He's not wearing a uniform. "Uhm... I was just looking for a new coffee shop... are you... closed?"

He only stared at me and then shook his head. "No, but why are you finding a new coffee shop at night? Are you crazy?"

I raised my eyebrows. "... wow, you're really laid back," I said.

"Yeah, well I own the place. I can act how I like, and you're dodging the question," he replied.

"Why are you calling me crazy when you're still open?"

He hesitated and narrowed his eyes a bit at me. "... For regulars, I guess... I close soon though."

I shrugged and then finally answered. "I just moved to this town today and I needed to find a new coffee shop..."

He raised an eyebrow. "There are stands on every corner."

"Stands aren't an option, I need a shop to sit and write in," I explained.

He paused and leaned against the register. "You're an author?"

"Trying to be." I tilted my head to the side, trying to mirror his confident body language. "You own this place?"

"I did say that already."

"How? You don't look any older than I am."

"Long story," he replied simply.

"So... as the owner, I guess you'd be the one for me to ask."

"Ask what?"

"If you would mind having me here writing?"

He hesitated for a moment. "Why would I refuse?"

"I don't know... I guess I could admit I get frustrated when trying to write sometimes, but I don't usually make a scene or anything."

"Don't usually?" he repeated with a smirk.

"...what, don't you get frustrated?" I replied briskly, but I couldn't keep a smile off the corner of my mouth.

"We weren't talking about me," he said as he raised an eyebrow. "How often would you come here to write?"

I pressed my lips together. "Oh, just... every day."

His eyes widened. "Are you serious?"

"I have to write every day, and the only place I can do that is in a coffee shop," I replied with a shrug. "And you're the only shop within walking distance that smells like Hylia Roast."

He stared at me for a moment, pushing himself back from the register. "...you recognize the roast by the smell in the air?"

I folded my arms. "Is that so strange?"

"This is the weirdest night."