Chapter Twenty Seven

11/24/17

~*~
Friday

(5:00 P.M)

Link turned my way with that soft smile he seemed to always have when he looked at me.

I probably looked the fool, but there he was being as nice as always. As gorgeous as always. I closed my eyes to keep my emotions in check. To keep them inside.

As always.

"Do you want to sit down?" Link asked.

I nodded, but I didn't move from my spot. Didn't open my eyes.

I heard him step closer... felt him take my hand.

"Can't sit down if you don't move," he said and pulled me gently out of my standstill.

I nodded again and finally opened my eyes.

The room was fairly large. Two beds were spaced out on the left, and there was a couch sitting in front of a television on the right. I even noticed a bathroom straight across.

My eyes fixed on the sink.

I glanced at Link and bit the inside of my cheek. "I think... I'll go and wash my face."

He removed his hand from mine and nodded. "I'll be here," he replied.

I went into the bathroom and closed the door softly behind me. Looking in the mirror was a bad idea but I did it anyway, taking in the gorgeous sight of a red nose, swollen eyes and a beautiful glistening face. I groaned.

"He had to look at that and still be nice..." I closed my eyes again and shook my head. "Stop..." I told myself, then I leaned on my hands against the cold countertop. "He's not acting... and you know it..."

I turned the water on cold and splashed my face with it more times than I could count. It felt like it was waking me up. Snapping me out of whatever mindset I was in, and preparing me for what was to come.

What... was to come? How could I go through the next few days of meeting Link's family, interacting with them, and pretending that my own family life hadn't been-

"Zelda? Are you okay?" Link's voice came through the door. "The water's been running for a long time."

I turned off the faucet and dried my face on the towel. Soaking up my bad memories along with the water. "Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry," I replied, my voice a bit muffled.

As I lowered the towel, I stared at the door, knowing Link was standing just on the other side.

For the first time in my life... I was completely free to do whatever the heck I wanted to. I didn't have authority breathing down my neck at every choice I made. The only thing holding me back now was fear.

Fear of the past repeating itself.

Fear of the unknown.

Fear that I may get others into trouble.

No. I wasn't going to let the 'what if's hold me back anymore. I would make the most of my time here.

I dropped the towel and held my hand out to open the door. Except... I still have figure
things out. And for once, I didn't argue further with myself.

A broken writer, trying to tie her life back together with ink on a page... and now... he was the source of the words.

I took a final breath and then opened the door. "Sorry," I said as I stepped out of the bathroom. "I didn't mean to get like that. Kinda puts a damper on meeting your family, doesn't it."