Chapter Twenty Three

10/27/17

~*~
Friday

(11:30 A.M)

After lounging around and chatting post breakfast we went back to the living room floor and proceeded where we'd left off.

Teaching me to play cards was not easy. I didn't know the suits, the face cards, what the ace was... I didn't even know how to hold them.

They started simple, teaching me Go Fish till I memorized the numbers on the cards and could remember the Jack, Queen, King, Ace progression.

Then we moved on to another simple game.

After a few hours, I felt confident in the numbers at least. Thank Nayru I can count, I thought with some amusement.

Link set down his cards. "Alright Colin, time to be done for now," he said.

Colin sadly put the game away, but he didn't argue. It had been hours...

"I'd love to play again with you later," I told him with a smile.

The small boy grinned and walked to the game box with a renewed spring in his step.

I turned to Link. He looked at me with a smile, his head resting on his hand.

Ugh, that stupid smile on your stupid perfect face. I raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"It's good to see Colin having fun with someone other than me. Thank you."

"Why thank me?" I asked, tilting my head to rest on my knee. "I've enjoyed it. It's not like I made some huge sacrifice."

Link dropped his hand as he stood up, offering it to me. I took it and he pulled me to my feet, leading me away from the living room. As we left the house I noticed the occupants of the kitchen watching us go.

The air outside hit my face with a chill. Compared to the heated, spice-rich air of inside it felt well below freezing. Not that I was all that well acquainted with below freezing. Anytime it snowed or got that cold, my parents wouldn't let me leave without an escort vehicle. Goddess forbid that I walk to the coffee shop in the cold.

Link still held my hand, but I only noticed when he pulled me by it again.

"Where are we going?" I asked, my question creating a small cloud that trailed behind me as we walked. It is cold.

He didn't reply at first, but as he rounded the side of the house he said, "Somewhere we can be alone."

Why did alone suddenly feel different? That had been the majority of our interactions. Also, his voice sounded annoyed, or maybe it was frustrated... it was... something... and it made my face heat up.

I almost asked why, but when I opened my mouth I immediately shut it again. The simple word was now impossible to say. No way.

So we walked in silence, still holding hands.

Explanations. Explanations... Oh! Maybe he's just had too much of his family for the moment and wants to recharge by himself.

Then why am I going with him?

Because he's nice and knows I'd feel abandoned in his house full of family.

.... Could you just ask him, please?

You have no idea how much I can't do tha-

"There," Link said, interrupting my thoughts as he lifted his hand to point.

I looked up and my eyes widened as I saw it. It was a gorgeous wooden gazebo standing out against a ring of evergreen trees. "Wow..." I began. "That's really charming..."

Link looked over at me and nodded. "I used to come out here all the time to get away from my siblings for a bit. It was far enough away to be mostly quiet... but close enough that grandma could still rope me back in."

He was smiling at me... and I was blushing. He was flushed from the cold and he just looked so freaking cute. Even his ears are red... I inwardly groaned. The cuteness was going to eat me alive.

I looked around to try to hide my face as I took in the sights of the property. He grew up here... I thought. And the coffee shop. He's spent years here, and I've only spent a couple of hours, yet... I love it already.

He led me up the steps and then sat down on one of the benches along the side.

I sat down beside him. Or at least I tried to, but I jumped back up, clutching my arms close to myself. "That seat is frozen," I said, staring down at it.

"Yeah, they get pretty cold," he replied with a shrug, laying his hand down on the frosty surface. "I'm used to it though."

"It literally felt like I sat on an ice cube," I replied, but I was smiling and barely containing a laugh.

He frowned. "I'm sorry, I should have grabbed you a coat before we left... I just wanted to get away, I wasn't thinking."

"No... It's fine-"

Link shook his head and leaned forward, taking his jacket off.

My eyes widened. "Wait, that's not necess-"

He finished shaking his arms out of the sleeves and held it out to me. "You've got goosebumps."

I shook my head. "I'm fine."

"I'm fine too," he replied, shrugging as he set the coat down beside him. "Here, sit on it."

"But... It'll get dirty."

"I don't mind," he replied.

"... I really couldn't."

He shook his head as he started to chuckle. "Really, you are difficult."

I looked up at him and found myself smiling. His laughter elevated my already high spirits. "Well, I've finally got someone I can say no to," I replied with a smirk.

He rolled his eyes. "I didn't know refusal was such a privilege," he said, picking up his coat to lay it down... somewhere else. "How about now?"

I stared, my eyes flicking from where it had been to where it was now. On his lap. It was on his lap. I raised an eyebrow. "You... want me to sit on you?"

"I want you to sit down," he said and then shrugged.

"I..." I pressed my lips together. "I weigh rather a lot-"

He took my arm and gently pulled. "I don't care."

"Well, I do..." My voice was quiet, but my mind certainly wasn't.

Link sighed and fell silent, but then he smiled. "Zelda, they can probably see us here. In fact, they're more than likely spying from a window. Grandma leading the charge."

"They can?" I said, turning only a little to look out of the corner of my eye. I saw some blinds drawn closed in the house, and what could be several shadows behind it. "I don't know whether to be annoyed or amused..."

"Well, I feel annoyed..." Link replied. "...but it is rather amusing," he said, then paused. "Shall we give them something to see then?"

My eyes flicked back to him. "Seriously?" Is he just... making excuses? Cause that's something I would do if I had the nerve. Which I really don't, but... Maybe I could give it a try.

He chuckled. "Only a suggestion... and it makes you blush, so it's kinda fun-"

"Fun?" I repeated, cutting him off. I leaned down toward him, my eyes narrowing. I put all my weight against my hands, which were pressed against the icy rail behind him. My face stopped only an inch from his. "Are we playing a game?"