Chapter Thirty Eight

2/16/18

~*~

Friday

(10:30 P.M)

Time in the room seemed to halt.

My own breathing felt like the only movement.

My mind went back, back to the time years and years ago when Urbosa and her mother had told me the same. Had offered up the feeling of family, yet I'd never fully considered myself worthy of that.

Why?

Was it thinking I wasn't good enough?

Thinking because of my parents that I couldn't be happy?

That I didn't deserve to be free of them?

That's stupid.

You've been hurt enough in your life, don't focus on that anymore.

I finally lifted my head after the long silence. "I think... I understand. I haven't exactly lived it... but I do understand."

Aryll smiled. "That's good. Don't worry about it," she said, then put her hand lightly on my shoulder. "You'll have it now."

My eyes squeezed shut a little. A small flicker of happiness lit in my stomach. My doubt quickly snuffed it out. "You've... barely met me..."

Aryll shook her head and smiled. "Link really cares about you, and that's enough for me to treat you like the sister I know you'll be."

My eyes went wide. "What?"

The girl chuckled. "Ah, I'm sorry, didn't mean to think so far ahead."

"You didn't mean to think it out loud," Paya chimed in with well-practiced exasperation. "Don't scare the poor girl away."

I glanced back at Paya. "No, I'm not scared just... surprised. I mean... We haven't been together that long, but..."

"But you wouldn't mind becoming my sister." Aryll winked with her singsong declaration.

"Aryll!" Paya hissed.

I turned bright red and hid my face behind one hand.

"Sorry, sorry," Aryll said, but she was struggling not to laugh.

Paya merely shook her head.

"I... I wouldn't... mind," I admitted. Although the words did not come easily, the company I was in was unlike anything I'd ever had before. I felt pushed to new heights; like I could say anything here and they would accept. Wouldn't judge.

Or maybe it was just how long I'd been awake.

Aryll's eyes widened, and then so did her smile. "Yes!" she said - squealed - and jumped up and down for a moment on the covers. "I knew it!"

"Aryll..." Paya said in a long-suffering tone.

"Hey, it's a sleepover! With Link's girlfriend, Grandma already knows it's not gonna be all quiet."

"You're not gonna get in trouble are you?" I asked, a little worried.

Aryll settled back, probably momentarily, to sit on her legs. "Nah, maybe I'll be teased about being loud, as usual. But not any real trouble."

Paya shrugged. "It's true, but you should still try to keep it down."

"Of course," she replied, refraining from rolling her eyes. Turning back to me, she smiled. "Who's turn is it?"