Chapter Thirty Four

1/12/18

~*~
Friday

(8:15 P.M)

It was warm inside the house. As warm as I had felt after he'd kissed me.

... That actually happened... that... actually happened?

This is real.

This is real.

This is very real.

I kept repeating it over and over again in my mind, hoping that somehow it could sink in.

"Wow, she's frozen," Midna commented as I walked up to them.

"I'm alright." I had the scarf wrapped tight around my chin and mouth but it had slipped off of my nose, revealing that it was bright red.

I took off my coat and hung it on the rack beside Link's. Then I removed the scarf and shook out my messy hair, running my hands through the tangles.

"Zelda Harkinian?"

I froze for a moment, then looked up with wide eyes. "What?" I asked. I hadn't even told Link my last name.

Midna's eyes were as wide as my own, but after the shock faded she returned to herself. "I live in Central," she replied with a shrug. "Unless they never look at the TV there's no one from there that wouldn't recognize you."

I bit my lip. "Yeah... I uh... suppose not," I replied. "I would rather not talk about Central stuff," I said. "I don't want to be known for anything here." I tried not to sound like I was pleading, but... if Midna knew...

She shut her mouth abruptly, looking apologetic. "Yeah..." she said, "Sorry."

Link was looking back and forth between the two of us. "TV?" he asked. "Harkinian? Isn't that-"

I shook my head as though trying to shake off the questions.

That was when Colin appeared, running up to Link looking indignant. "You said you were going on a walk! You were gone for so long."

Link's gaze lingered on my face as though he was trying to figure something out, but then he turned to Colin. "Sorry bud, it was important."

"What was?"

"We were talking about something."

"Didn't look like talking to me..." Midna said quietly.

Link replied with an exasperated glare then brushed both of them off. He turned to me and every trace of his annoyance faded. "We should probably get your stuff out of my room and bring it upstairs."

I nodded, my face still hot from Midna's comment. I followed after him the short distance, now wondering if I'd have to talk about my family.

As soon as we made it into Link's room he turned to me. "Zelda..." he began, shutting the door behind him.

"What," I replied flatly. I did not like where his tone was heading.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what? My last name?"

Link shook his head. "That you're the governor's daughter."

And there we go... Thank you, Midna. I sighed, shaking my head as well. "Yes, Ronan Harkinian is the governor of all Hyrule."

He seemed to hesitate before he replied. "You didn't want me to know that?"

"No. I didn't want you to know that. Because I want nothing to do with him." I looked at him with half-lidded eyes, my expression defeated. "I don't want to be chained to their legacy for the rest of my life." I took a deep breath. "I don't want to be Harkinian," I strode over to the bed and sat at the end, shaking my head.