Chapter Forty Six

I cried. Of course I cried. As 'strong' as I'd been while relating the whole story... I couldn't not cry when they gave me a group hug. I mean really. Link cried too so there was no way I wasn't going to.

We stayed in the clearing, and I sat with my head on Urbosa's lap and my legs crossing over Link's.

Urbosa leaned forward a little. "We have to come up with a plan," she said.

Link nodded.

I stared into the fire pit. "How can we though? We don't know what he'll do," I said.

"We know he'll try something," Urbosa replied, tilting her chin up in thought. "What would he do if he just couldn't find you?"

"He'll find me," I replied. "Well... Cole will find me. It's just a matter of when he does go looking. I wouldn't be surprised if he already knows I'm not in the apartment."

"What would he do once he found you. How can he take you back if you aren't willing to go?"

"He'd... probably threaten Urbosa's shop, and once they realize my... attachment to you, your shop as well."

Link shook his head. "We wouldn't back down."

"I know... but I don't want your whole life uprooted for me. That shop means the world to you. That apartment..."

"You mean more than all of that," Urbosa said, tugging some of my hair.

I took a breath. "The fact of the matter is - they will find me eventually, and they will do whatever it takes to get me back 'where I belong.'"

"So what do you think we can do?" she asked.

I frowned. "I..." There was no way to fight them... except... My eyes widened. Ah crap, I didn't like the plan that was forming in my head. "I... I think I may have an idea where you don't have to lose anything for me... but..."

They both shook their heads. "We don't care Zel."

I finally sat up. "I do! And listen... Even if I get to stay away from them, it will be a constant battle to stay free. I need to make sure I never have to fear going back."

"And how would you do that?"

"... By going back on my own."

"What?" Urbosa asked with a quietly deadly voice.

Link was not so quiet. He moved upright so fast it jostled my legs. "What are you talking about?"

I swallowed and took a breath. "It could work, listen..." I bit my lip and nodded to myself. "My father is... majorly corrupt, and he has records of everything hidden in his main office. If I can get enough evidence to ruin him, I could blackmail him into leaving all of us alone."

"Blackmail... your father."

"Blackmail an abusive governor," Urbosa said, a wicked gleam in her eye. "I like the sound of that."

"No!" Link replied, looking at Urbosa in astonishment. "He could kill her for something like that!"

I shook my head. "He is under so many delusions, but I am still his prized possession. He could harm me, yes... But I don't think anywhere in his head does he want me dead. That would be a lot of investment wasted."

"You already are a wasted investment to him, especially if you steal evidence against him."

"Even now he thinks he has a chance with me. When I've completely stood up to him, he puts me far away into an apartment to live on my own?" I shook my head again. "He can't kill me. And even if he wanted to, he couldn't get away with that."