Chapter Thirty One

12/22/17

~*~
Friday

(7:00 P.M)

Dinner ended with a full and happy tummy. The caffeine that laced my incredible drink was already making me feel lighter.

I felt warm, content... everything I didn't feel at home.

Stop thinking about home - you're not there. Don't let it ruin the here and now.

Aryll slapped her hand on the table as she laughed, recatching my attention. "And then he tripped over his laces-" she gasped, "and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen out shopping."

I giggled. "I cannot believe he didn't notice!"

Aryll was almost in tears. Honestly, with how much we had been giggling it was a wonder either of us had any breath left. "I know. I am so glad I got to see it first hand," she replied, throwing her head back.

Still lightheaded, I closed my eyes and smiled. Great food, and even better company... All I had to do was ignore bad memories and I could spend my three days here as the happiest I had ever been.

Maybe even happier than the time away from my parents so long ago...

My mind brought me back, and I didn't struggle. I vividly remembered walking the long path from the front door to the waiting car. It was impossible to forget. Past the prison bars that masqueraded as driveway gates. My small bag slung over my shoulder, wondering before I'd even escaped if it would last.

My eyes opened as I discarded the memory. Instead of dwelling, I took a glance at Link.

He looked more relaxed now, sitting in his chair. But there was still an edge to his posture, and he was staring, looking almost lost, at his mug of coffee.

That made me feel guilty.

... That was my fault... I had worried him.

He glanced over and caught me looking. Link tilted his head to the side in question.

I didn't move. His expression changed, and I knew what coming before he even opened his mouth. I was already fighting myself for a response.

"Can I ask now?" the question came.

I bit the inside of my cheek. For once, you can meet an issue head-on. Once. "Not if you want an answer," I replied, lowering my gaze from his.

He blinked, confused. "Then... I can ask later?" Link followed in a hopeful tone.

"It would have to be somewhere quiet..." I replied.

He pressed his lips together as he nodded. "We can... go back to my room."

I shook my head a little. "I don't want to sit down anymore..." and anyone could overhear me in there.

"We could walk out to the gazebo?" he suggested.

I refocused on him. That... would actually be nice. To go outside again... For the cold that I never got to be out in before. "As long as I have a coat this time," I replied, and a little smirk crossed my lips, despite everything.

Link nodded. "Your stuff is in my room, we can go get it."

We put our plates in the sink and then walked together back to his room. I dug in my suitcase for a coat and gloves while Link found himself something warmer than his thin jacket.