Chapter Eighteen

9/22/17

~*~
Friday
(7:30 A.M)

I held my bag tight in my hand as I moved it from my bedroom to beside the door. Time was out.

Time was out.

Time...

I sighed and walked into the kitchen to grab my breakfast, then shoved it in the microwave and slid down the cupboards. What do I doooo? UGH, I can't handle the stress of just wondering, and waiting... I just couldn't be sure... I never was sure.

I can't do anything about it because I'm a cowardly writer who only wants to hide behind the scenes to make my living.

I'm the complete opposite of my parents... No wonder they're so disappointed in me.

Why should I care if he's disappointed or not? The whole reason I'm doing this is to get away from him for good.

I looked down at my hands and sighed again; long and shaky. "I don't care," I lied to myself. "I don't care about them, because they don't care about me."

They did care about me, in their own selfish way. Well. My mother cared. My father... I was his child. His tool. So he could pretend he was a good parent. That he was a good person.

He wasn't.

I looked around at the walls of my empty prison.

I was only in that apartment because of their money. With no way to support myself, maybe I had no choice but to go back to them after the time ran out. My eventual book might not even sell...

But then what would I become? A quitter who went along with what my 'parents' had planned for me before I could even walk?

No flipping way, I was never going to crawl back to them. To him. Even if I had to work full time, I would achieve my goal. My dream. My own way.

... No. I wouldn't go back willingly. That would never be my choice.

It had been in the back of my mind since I'd agreed to this deal... What would happen if my parents found out about it? If he found out I'd disappeared...

Would they try to track my phone? Would they storm after me, or let me stay, only to punish me when I got back?

Part of me wondered if they'd even notice. They had left me for six months back then. And Christmas meant nothing to them. They'd probably be glad I wasn't there to make things more difficult. They'd make up excuses for my absence at public dinners. But if they tried to find me...

I shook my head and refused to think about it anymore.

I pulled out my phone and started to reply to Urbosa's text from the night before. I'd been asking about her day, but I had fallen asleep.

Yesterday had been a mess of emotions and I wasn't even sure where to begin. From his comment to him being in the back all day. To him teaching me more in the kitchen, to playing smash...

To what may or may not have almost happened. To that awkward ride home where there were barely any words exchanged. How I had dismissed him in the car and walked up to my apartment alone.

I'd been so tired when I had finished packing that I fell onto the bed and had almost forgotten to set an alarm.

Hey, how's the traffic there? I finally sent.

The reply came almost immediately. Empty, why? Want to call?

I didn't reply, but simply pressed the video button and waited for her to pick up.