-•-•42•-•-

Dinner was silent. Emma ate as fast as Dustin then they retreated into his room after finishing. They lied down on his bed and let out a heavy sigh. "Dustin," they both turned their heads and looked at each other. "Is every family dinner like that?" He bit his lip and nodded slightly. "Why?"

"Got nothing to say to each other." He sighed and they looked up at his ceiling.

"Dustin," he hummed, Emma still looking at him. "I thought this would be more of a party. Not just a dinner."

"What did you except? A punch bowl, food in bowls and my yard trashed by morning?" Emma giggled. "I'm not about that. I think a sleepover is good enough," he sat up on his elbows and looked down at Emma. "How did you even get permission to come?"

"I already told you." Emma sat up, hitting Dustins forehead with hers. He fell against the floor while her head hit the bed.

"Sorry!" They both laughed out.

A bang on the door startled the two. "Shut up!" Jacob yelled. Emma flinched and looked at Dustin as he glared at the door, a growl emerging from his lips. "I have work to do!" His footsteps walked down the hall and faded as they went down the stairs. Emma remembered all the awards on the wall, none with Dustins name.

Before she could ask, Dustin banged his fist on the floor. "God! I hate this family!" He yelled, loud enough for only the people in the room to hear. "I wish I could just," he tried to find the right word. "I wish I could just kill them!" Emma blinked as she looked at Dustin. He looked up at Emma with his eyes wide. "I-I-I didn't mean it like-"

"It's fine Dustin," she bit her lip. "But if you hate them so much, why don't you just kill them? If they're this mean to you no one should have to suffer the same fate," she moved to the floor next to him. "And we can hide the fingerprints and say it was someone else and-"

"Emma," Dustin held both of her hands in his. They fit perfectly together. "We could also just run away and never look back." Emma looked deep into his eyes.

"We don't have money or a place to go. Murder would be easier." Dustin sighed and shook his head.

"Even if they're mean I still care about them." She saw the bruise on his shoulder. She always saw his injuries, how standing or sitting in certain ways hurt, how putting his arms to far down of high would make him wince and bending his knee would tense his face.

"But they hurt you." He looked at Emma, baffled that she noticed.

"I still care." Dustin bit his lip. Hours later Dustin was lying on the shitty couch in his room, dead asleep while Emma was wide awake in his bed. She crept out of bed and looked around his house, finding all the security cameras, mapping out the house in her head, settings on the alarm.