A Few Good Men

*This chapter was originally left out.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Laura's POV

It's been nearly a month since the incident at the old church and life was able to go back to normal, well not everything... Sheila died. She died from exhaustion and Bonnie was devastated, she blames Stefan and Damon for her Gram's death and refuses to forgive them. Sheila's funeral was held and Bonnie has been living with her aunt to calm down since then.

Elena and I have been worried about her and tried to call her many times but she never responded. We could only give her some space since it was our fault that she lost someone she cared about.

I take back what I said about our life going back to normal, things haven't been normal; Damon chose to stay, which was good for me, but his behaviour lately has been strange. He hasn't lashed out or done anything reckless like killing people to take out his anger. I was worried about his sudden behaviour change but I didn't go to see him because I didn't know what to say to him.

But mostly it's because he's been avoiding me.

The morning was so cold so I wore a shawl to keep myself warm and went over to sit by the window. I was thinking to myself when Elena walked in. "Hey, how are you feeling?" She asked.

I didn't bother to look at her and kept looking out the window. "Same old. Nothing's different." I said.

She came over to sit with me so I moved my legs to make room for her. "Are you still thinking about Damon?" She asked. I didn't bother to answer. "Laura, I know you have feelings for him but I don't think he's a good person for you. You've seen it, all he's ever done is hurt you."

It was all nonsense to my ears and I didn't want to have Elena tell me who I should have and not have in my life.

I turned to her with a sharp look. "Elena, you're the last person I want to have this talk with. You can't exactly tell me he's not good enough for me when you're dating a vampire yourself." I snapped at her.

"Stefan's different." She said looking defensive.

I roll my eyes and sighed heavily at her. "Look, I know what kind of person Damon is but if I'm going to talk about boys to anyone, it would be Mom." I stare at her hard.

She was hurt by harsh words and went quiet. I turned away when she spoke up again after recovering so quickly. "Anyway, I asked Jenna to do some digging about our birth mother. She has a friend living in Virginia..."

"Please don't tell me you're still trying to look for her." I scrunch up my face when she mentioned our so-called mother. I had little interest in knowing who she was and I certainly wasn't interested to find out.

Elena frowned at my reaction. "Don't you want to know about our mother and what she's like?" She asked.

I shrug it off lightly. "What more is there to know about her? She was a runaway teenager who was probably high on drugs, she got pregnant with twins and gave us up for adoption. That is the story I'm going with." I said.

After finding out we were adopted I decided I didn't want to know who my birth parents were. They were teenagers who panicked when something bad happened and ran away, now that years have passed they probably got a family somewhere and forgotten all about us.

"Maybe there's a reason for her to give us up, things aren't always as they seem." Elena said being delirious and in denial. "Well, whatever it is, I don't want to know. I don't want to know her." I told her firmly hoping she would just let it go.