Season 2 - The Return

Elena's POV

I just got a call from Matt and he just told me Caroline's been in a car crash and was in the hospital. So I needed to go there to see if she's okay but before I do I just need to check on Jeremy. "Want me to pick you up?" Stefan offered through the phone. "I just need to check in on Jeremy before I go to the hospital. Can you meet me there?" I asked instead.

"You bet." He replied.

"Okay. I love you, Stefan." I told him.

"I love you too." He responded before I hung up on the phone and unlocked the front door. I closed the door behind me and stopped at the bottom of the stairs. "Jeremy? Are you up?" I called aloud but there was no response from him.

I was about to go up to his room when I heard a loud noise in the kitchen, being suspicious I walked towards the noise. I carefully peer around the corner and found John lying on the floor covered in blood. I immediately ran over to him and choked in horror when I saw his fingers were lying on the ground beside him.

I was feeling sick but I put the feeling aside and grabbed a towel keep him from losing anymore blood. With my bloody hand I grabbed the phone nearby and called for help. "Hi, I need an ambulance to uh.. 2104 Maple Street." I stuttered when John tried to get my attention.

"What?" I couldn't tell what he was telling me. "Behind you." He said desperately. I was terrified and screamed as I turned around to see who was behind me but there was no one there. There was a knife with blood sitting next to me so I grabbed it for self defense and got back up walking around the room.

I was scared and terrified as I held the knife with shaking hands, as I searched the room for the killer I felt someone running past me and I jumped. But before I could see who it was I heard the front door closing and automatically snapped my body holding the knife in the air.

This was terrifying. It was a vampire. It had to be. Oh my god. "Jeremy." Fearing that something might have happened to my brother I quickly ran upstairs. "Jeremy! Jeremy!" I ran into Jeremy's room and found him unconscious on his bed. I tried to shake him awake but his eyes wouldn't open.

"Jeremy! Please Jeremy wake up!" I cried when he suddenly snapped his eyes wide open and taking in a deep breath as if he couldn't breathe.

Damon's POV

Right after I left Laura's house I got a voicemail from Liz, her daughter got in a car accident so I arrived at the hospital for support. I entered the lobby and found her by the assistance desk look rather worried. "Liz. I came as soon as I got the message. You okay?" I asked her.

"She's in surgery. They're doing everything they can." Liz told me and I nod at the good news. Then Liz looked at me desperately. "I need your help, Damon." I walked with her to a more quiet area so we could have a talk privately.

"Mayor Lockwood is dead." She told me discreetly. I act surprised, I already know he's dead because I saw him get killed along with the tomb vampires. But my just confused about one thing; I know he's not a vampire because the vervain didn't affect him like the rest of us.

"They thought he was a vampire. They put him in the basement." Liz said looking upset and scared. I continue to pretend I don't know anything to avoid suspicions. "Mayor Lockwood is a vampire?"

"No! No no!" She actively denied. "It was a mistake. They said he dropped when John's device went off and he-" She stopped herself when a nurse walked by us and she didn't continue until the nurse went away. "He couldn't have been a vampire! I've known the man my whole life. And now Carol Lockwood is gonna want answers. But all I can think about is Caroline."