The Dinner Party

Laura's POV

As promised, or more like two against one, Damon drove me to our family's lake house where Stefan and Elena were staying. Damon pulled up into the driveway and I refused to get out of the car. "Are you seriously making me stay here?" I said all gloomy.

"Yep, can't have Elijah coming after you if the plan doesn't fall through." Damon said. I turn to glare at him. "Oh, come on. Don't pout. I'll come back to you as soon as I'm done." He said grabbing my chin.

I rolled my eyes at him. Damon was treating me like a child and it was pissing me off. I was only in a foul mood because I was at the lake house where my family use to go to every summer. Coming back here just brought back sad memories.

"Hey, you okay?" Damon asked touching my arm. I look at him with a sad and depressing look. "Would it be convincing if I said yes?"

"Not if you look like that." He said and I let out a light laugh thinking I thought so.

Even though I didn't want to I had to drag myself out of the car, Damon got out as well to get my bag for me. "Call me anytime you need." He said brushing my cheek. I pulled a smile for him and he kissed me gently on the lips.

Damon walked me up to the front porch and I entered the house first looking around taking in the nostalgia of all the times I've been here. "Ahem." I turn around to Damon and he was still stuck outside since I haven't invited him in yet.

I could invite him in right away but I just toying with him. "Aren't you going to let me in?" Damon looked at me. I tilt my head and just grinned at him enjoying the moment. "No. I should really be careful of who I invite into my home." I smirked.

"You're not so mean to keep out your boyfriend, are you?" He leaned against the doorframe hoping I would invite him in. "Do you not know me?" I gave him a look.

"Oh, I do. Caroline told me you can be a bitch." He said. I smiled as if it didn't bother me. It didn't because it wasn't the first time I've heard it. "You can come in, Mr Salvatore." I said turning on my heels.

We walked into the living room together when I see Elena sitting on the couch by herself reading through some journal. Stefan was standing by the door facing the lake with his back to us.

"Hey, you're here." Elena said. Stefan turned back to us with a grim look forcing a smile. There was strange air between them and we could only guess they were fighting.

"Hey... what's going on?" I looked at them.

Elena and Stefan exchange looks but neither wanted to talk about it. "Nothing, I'm just reading through Jonathan's journal." Elena explained.

I looked at Stefan and he just turned away. I looked at Damon and he just shrugged his shoulders saying he's not interested to know what happened between them.

"Well then, Stefan, I'll leave my girlfriend in your care." Damon looked at his brother. "I should be back by tomorrow morning." He said sounding so sure he can get rid of Elijah in one night.

"Take care." I told him. "You too." He said and kissed me quickly giving me my bag before leaving.

I turn back to the awkward atmosphere in the room and neither of them wanted to say anything so I had to break the ice. "I don't know what happened here but let's just hope you guys can sort it out." I said.

Still, neither said anything. Urgh, this is the worst.

"I'm gonna go to my room and I'll come back to something for us to eat." I said and excused myself to my room. I had to get out of there. It was so awkward being in a lovers' quarrel that not even mine.