Unpleasantville

Laura's POV

I was in my room lying in bed with Stefan and Elena hovering around me asking questions about the man I crashed into the other night. It was really hurting my head because I don't remember a single thing about the guy.

"Laura, who was that man you crashed into?" Elena asked.

I groaned in annoyance at her stupid question. "I don't know. I didn't see his face. He was wearing a hoodie." I told her and sat up. "All I can remember is that there was these black boots coming towards me."

Elena turned to Stefan with a worried look. "Do you think it might have been a vampire?"

Stefan was in deep thought. "I don't know. Damon said he was able to put his bones back together, it would make sense that he's a vampire." He explained.

"What do you think he wants with me?" I asked him.

He shrugged to answer. "I don't know. But I will protect you, I promise." He said.

I let out a breath at his assurance.

~ ~ ~ Morning ~ ~ ~

It was school and we had just finished our classes when Caroline and I were walking together across the lawn. "It's so pretty. Thank you. God, it'll go with, like, everything." She was examining the necklace I gave her laced with vervain.

Stefan thought it would be safer if we gave out all the vervain to our family and friends until they caught the vampire.

"What's the occasion?" She asked me as we sat down for lunch.

"No occasion. Just a gift I wanted to give to you. I saw it in a window store and thought it would look great on you, and it does." I said smiling proudly. "Lesbian friend necklace? 'Cause we're freaky like that." She winked playfully and we both laughed.

"Your friendship is important to me." I told her earnestly.

"Aw. Thanks." She said.

I watched Caroline observe her necklace a little longer before she noticed the sad look on my face. "Hey, are you dealing with it okay?" She asked me concerned.

She was hinting at the fact I was adopted. I sighed deeply shaking my head. "I'm fine, I guess. I mean I still can't believe it." I told her as I unwrap my sandwich.

"Well, of course you would be. I was too. I mean who knew you and Elena were adopted." She said.

"I didn't believe it when Elena told me but the way Jenna reacted when we asked her says it all... We're adopted." I said sadly.

"Well, how's Elena dealing with all of this?" Caroline asked.

"She's not talking to Jenna, she's angry at her for hiding the truth from us." I told her.

"Well it's not Jenna's fault." Caroline said.

"I know, but Elena's being Elena. She's stubborn but she'll come around soon." I said.

"Let's hope so."

~ ~ ~

Elena, Bonnie and I were hanging out at the grill and we told her we were adopted. She was just as shocked as Caroline when I told her. "I checked our birth certificates, and it said our parents are Miranda and Grayson Gilbert. It just doesn't make any sense." Elena explained being confused with it all.

"Which is why you should ask Jenna." Bonnie suggested. "And by ask, she meant actually talk to her." I said.

Elena scowled in silence. "First of all, the Elena that I know would want to know the real truth, good or bad." I said in a know-it-all.