Kill or Be Killed

Elena's POV

"I can't believe Tyler Lockwood is a werewolf." Jeremy couldn't believe it when I told him about Mason being a werewolf and how it runs in the family. "We're not sure about that yet. The only thing we know for sure is that Mason Lockwood is." I explained as I light apply my makeup on.

"It should be easy enough for us to figure out." He said. I stop before I could apply on my lip gloss and turned to him. "There is no us, Jeremy." I said sounding a little harsh and he looked at me as if to defy. "I said that I wouldn't keep things from you anymore. That doesn't mean I want you involved in it."

I turn back to the mirror to finish up my makeup, Jeremy chuckled lightly and came to stand next to me. "By definition of being in this family, I'm involved." He showed me the Gilbert ring that John gave him. I look at him again. "This is dangerous, Jeremy. You have to stay out of it. Okay?" I look at him sternly.

"Alright." He gave in after failing to get my good graces on this. "Why can't you just lighten up like Laura? She always lets me do what I want." He said and I gave him the look. "And did she say that you could be a part of this?"

Jeremy shrugged lightly. "I figure she would considering she's a better sister than you are. Less of a control freak and more cool." That hurt. I'm tired of being ganged up on.

I know I'm not like Laura who's always so carefree and optimistic about life but things are different now. We live in a world where vampires exist and people die all the time, I can't not worry. "I'm just trying to protect you!" I argue.

"Well stop it! I'm old enough to look out for myself." Jeremy snapped at my constant need to be overprotective. "Stop trying to make me look weak everytime I try to stand up for myself. Okay?" He said frustratedly throwing me by surprise. "I don't want to be the kid who has to hide behind his older sister all the time for protection when I'm a guy!" Jeremy shouted in my face and left.

I went back to my room and walked over to the closet to pick out my clothes, and after I chose one with one quick look. I closed the door only to be momentarily startled when Stefan appeared from behind the door. "Sorry I didn't mean to scare you." Stefan said and kissed me.

I hold up my finger to stop him and went check if anyone was around and closed the door. "Right, right." Stefan muttered to himself. I threw my clothes on my bed and crash my lips to his again.

"Hi." I pull him into a tight hug because I haven't seen him since we 'broke up'. "Hey. You ready for today?" He asked. I shake my head over his shoulder. "No." I pull away to look at him.

I wasn't looking forward to the day ahead of us. The other day we had to stage a 'break up' fight for Katherine to see because we didn't know if she was watching or not. "I hate fighting with you even if it's fake." I pout.

"I know but if Katherine thinks that we are fighting then she will think that she's winning and it keeps her from following through with her threats." Stefan explained rubbing my arm for comfort.

"Yeah, but it doesn't make it any easier." I told him in a matter-of-fact tone. "Neither does having Caroline reporting everything back to her." How can my friend do this to me? Caroline makes me so mad sometimes with her insensitivity.

"Hey, everything is going to be okay." Stefan assured me, I force a smile despite how I was feeling about the whole situation. "Yes, we have to keep up this ruse for a little while but it the best way to keep Katherine from hurting anybody. from hurting you and Laura."

"Just promise me that she won't get away with us." I look at him. "We can fake a fight, we can pretend that her threats are tearing us apart but none of it is real, okay? I don't want our relationship to end just like that." I clicked my fingers together as I said it. "I don't want it end flat like Laura and Damon's."