The Last Day

Laura's POV

This morning Elijah called Elena and I down to the library to discuss our plan to kill Klaus, Damon was still in his room so it was just the two of us and Stefan. "Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Niklaus is prepared to break the curse." Elijah proceeded.

"Laura said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake? That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus." Stefan looked at him to confirm.

"Klaus is a vampire born from a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting, but if he breaks it ... he'll be a true hybrid." Elijah explained.

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon barged in causing us all to look at him. "We can kill him today. With Bonnie." He said.

"Damon..." Stefan looked at his brother. "No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying." Elena said firmly rejecting his idea.

"I'll write her a great eulogy." Damon said with insensitivity. I gave him a look. "It's not a time to be joking right now." I told him.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" Damon stared hard at me. "It's not an option, Damon!" I snapped at him. He grit his teeth and glared at us.

Once Damon decided to stay quiet for us we turn back to Elijah to continue with the plan. "Alright, how do we break this curse?" Stefan asked.

"Well the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know." Elijah said. "The moonstone." I replied.

"A witch will channel the power of a full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each." Elijah explained.

"And where do we fit into it?" Elena asked.

"The final part of the ritual." Elijah replied and went over to the shelf taking out a small box. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelganger... to the point of your death." He said.

Elena and I exchanged looks and held each other's hand squeezing tightly. Stefan held Elena's hand as well with a sad look. I was obviously shaking but I tried to hide it under a calm expression.

"And that's where you come in." I said.

Elijah opened the chest and took out a jar. "This is an elixir that I acquired some five hundred years ago for Katerina. It possesses some mystical properties of resuscitation."

Elena looked at him questionably. "So we'll be dead?"

"And then you won't." Elijah said.

"That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date?" Damon spoke up in outrage at him. "You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?" He said to us.

"Those rings only work on humans. Doppelgangers are a supernatural occurrence. Odds are, the ring won't work." Elijah told him.

"I'll take those odds over your elixir." Damon said then looked at me. "What if doesn't work, Laura?"

I was about to answer him when Elijah spoke before me. "Before you jump ahead of things, there is one thing I didn't get to mention. Klaus will only use one doppelganger to complete the ritual." Elijah told us.

I wasn't surprised because I was pretty sure Katherine said it before. The only problem was which one of us was it going to be.

"So Elena and Laura will need to decide who will be the one to drink this elixir." Elijah suggested. Elena and I exchange looks again but didn't say anything.