✦08✦ New Year Tournament Arc -Prelude-

"U-um..." In her past, being the only one to be called out by a guard was never good news. However, things worked very differently in Nanba Prison as it was a place where the things that happened here on a daily basis defied all reasons and logic. 

"Just let me wrap this obi up and...perfect!" Seitarou called Michiyo out of her cell and provided her to put on a red kimono golden phoenix designs along with pink lotus flowers. "You look beautiful!"  

Michiyo looked at herself in the mirror and she could see herself in a beautiful looking kimono that looked expensive and elegant at the same time. She touched the mirror, as if unable to believe the one reflected wasn't her. 

"Oh! No.314 looks lovely indeed!" Yamato was laughing heartily, "You might be half Japanese but you have the full beauty of Yamato Nadeshiko!" 

"You both called me out just to let me wear this?" 

"We don't have any girls, but just in case there was one, Deputy Supervisor and I would order kimonos for this occasion. It's to help ease the feelings of being in prison." Seitarou explained to her. 

"Hahaha! But because Nanba Prison takes in a lot of men, the bulk order of kimono becomes worthless and takes up space!" 

"Deputy Supervisor, please stop ordering them on your own! It was a good thing I only ordered one this year! I don't want Supervisor to cut it from our pay again!" Seitarou was crying because the last few years had been hard since Yamato took it upon himself to order the kimonos in bulk. Thankfully, he was a step quicker and ordered two kimono just for Michiyo. "This one is longer, since you won't be moving much in your cell. Tomorrow, there is a shorter kimono since tomorrow is the New Year Tournament. Be sure to wear it." 

"T-thank you..." She blushed slightly, happy that the guards were being so nice to her. She took a step forward with the intention of returning to her cell but she ended up stepping on her kimono and falling face first. 

"Ahh! No.314!" Seitarou was in panic mode because he didn't expect Michiyo to fall down and land on her face! "Are you okay?!" 

"Hahaha! You need to train how to walk on Geta sandals! Hahaha!" Yamato quickl put on a pair, "I will teach you!" 

"Are you okay, No.314?!" Seitarou asked her. 

"Uh...I'm okay." 

"How are you okay when you are nose bleeding?!" 

"That's right, No.314, remain beautiful despite a bit of blood!" 

"Deputy Supervisor, please get her some tissues!" 

It took a long time for Michiyo to get used to the shoes but she finally got the hang of it after hours of practice. She was walking naturally in them, making horse-like 'clok' noises with each step taken. 

"I got it!" 

"Of course! The Japanese in you will not fail you!" Yamato laughed triumphantly.

"Deputy Supervisor, that sounds weird..." He then looked at Michiyo, "Still you did well, No.314!" 

Hajime came back from cleaning the Warden's office and he could see Michiyo in a kimono. "Oh, you look good." 

'I never thought there would be a day where Hajime would compliment me for doing nothing!?' Michiyo was so taken back that she ended up making a weird face in front of Hajime. 

"What's with that face?" Hajime asked her, "If you have time to pull weird faces, use those time to go back to your cell and help the others make more decorations."