9. Lie

I sit up and check my phone. I glance down at my pillow and drop my phone. I scramble out of bed and onto the floor. I rush to my mirror, my hands shaking. My eyes glow a dark red, black blood dripping from my nose, a little from my eyes as well. My shaky hand reaches up to touch the blood pouring from my nose. I slowly withdraw my hand before grabbing toilet paper and cleaning up the blood from my face. My nose continues to bleed and my eyes won't stop glowing.

"Brittany, we're going to be late!" Dad yells up the stairs.

"I think I'm going to stay here for today! I'm not feeling too well!" I call back.

"Alright then sweetheart! I'll check in at lunch if I can! Call if you need anything!" He replies.

"I will Dad! Have fun at work!" I grab my phone from the floor.

"See you later!" He says as he leaves.

"Later!" I yell back before searching through my phone for Derek's number. I hear the engine of the car turn on the fade as he drives away. I dial the number and raise the phone to my ear.

"Brittany?" Derek answers.

"Hey, are you busy?" I ask.

"Shouldn't you be in school?" He retorts.

"Just answer my question!" I snap.

"No, why?" He replies.

"I have a bit of a predicament." I say.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"You might want to see for yourself, because I'm not entirely sure what's going on." I reply.

"Where are you?" He retorts.

"Home." I say.

"Give me about ten minutes. I'll be there." He states.

"Okay." I nod. "See you in ten."

"See you in ten." We hang up and I look back in the mirror. I wipe more of the black blood from my nose and sigh. I strip my pillow and soak the pillow case in cold water. I go downstairs and cover the windows. I wipe more blood from my nose again and look at the clock. I run back upstairs to throw the pillow case in the washing machine. I wipe my nose again and look in the mirror. Something rises in my throat and I throw up into the toilet the same black substance that's been coming from my nose. I wipe my mouth and nose before going back downstairs. I hear a car pull in and glance outside before smiling lightly. I open the door before he has a chance to knock. His eyes widen and I pull him inside. "What the hell happened!?!" He exclaims.

"I don't know. I woke up and my nose was bleeding, like it is now, but my eyes were too, now I'm coughing it up too. I can't get my eyes to go back either." I reply in a small voice.

"Come on, we're going to Deaton." He grabs my bicep and starts dragging me to his car. "Just keep your head down."

"I have to be back before 12, Dad said he was checking in during lunch." I state as I climb into the vehicle.

"Lie to him. Just like you did to stay home." Derek shrugs starting the car before starting to drive off.

"I didn't lie to him. I didn't tell him what was wrong, but I didn't lie. I just said I felt a bit under the weather." I retort.

"Well, lie to him like you did the night Liam was bitten."

"I didn't lie then either. I just didn't give details."

"Well make up an excuse or something." He turns left into traffic before speeding up.

"I can only do so much Derek." I grumble.

"You're a seventeen year old girl! I think you can tell a little white lie." He deadpans.

"Alright, whatever." I scoff. We pull up to a small building and get out of the car. "The sign says closed Derek. Why are we at an animal clinic anyways?" Derek rolls his eyes before opening the door.

"Derek? It's odd seeing you here. What seems to be the problem?" A man asks. Derek wraps a hand around my bicep and I slowly lift my head. "Come on, I think I may just have a solution." Derek drags me to the back of the clinic. "You must be Brittany, according to what Scott has been telling me the last few days." I nod and my leg starts to hurt. The man furrows his eyebrows. "You know what's wrong don't you?"

"It's some modified form of wolfbane, it can't be burned out with straight up fire." I state.

"You knew the whole time didn't you?" Derek asks.

"Yes, well I had my conspiracies." I reply.

"Then why is Peter perfectly fine?" Derek raises an eyebrow.

"Peter didn't get hit with the same kind of tomahawk. He doesn't have half the power I do." I sneer.

"Modified wolfsbane you said?" Deaton asks.

"Yes, like it's rare and mixed with mistletoe or something. That mute worked alone but there has to be more assassins out there somewhere." I reply.

"It took almost 48 hours for it to affect you though." Derek says.

"You did something differently than what you have been." Deaton states.

"It's the reshi. Mom made me bring a bunch of it back from Cleveland." I say.