18. M E R C Y

Derek

I sit with my head in my hands propped up on my elbow in the waiting room of Beacon Memorial. Nothing good has came from this place except from when I met her on the roof. Every other time it's something terrible.

"Derek? Why the hell are you here?" Scott asks. I look up and his face falls. "It's Brittany isn't it?"

"Yeah." I sigh in reply. "It's pretty bad. Violet got her the night of the scrimmage. It's killing her, it's moving fast now."

"Violet's dead if it makes you feel any better." He stuffs his hands in his pockets.

"What about Garrett?" I ask.

"Yeah, he's dead too." He replies.

"Shit." I clench my fists. "Did he say anything about Brittany? Or Conner?"

"No, I don't think so." Scott shakes his head.

"Garrett had the cure. He was going to give it to Brittany, but he had to kill Conner first, she was going to pay him 30 million dollars." I sigh.

"What if we figure out what was on the blade?" Scott suggests.

"If I know what was on the blade I can save her." Deaton states. "She's stable for now but still unconscious."

+++++

I stand with my hands pressed against the desk staring out the window. Scott went with Argent to find the blade and Melissa said I had to come home and rest. Brittany still hasn't woken up yet. She looks terrible, but her heart rate is steady. She's dying, and so am I, but she deserves so much more. I don't deserve anything.

Everyone around me, everyone gets hurt.

Everything is falling apart. I love her. Brittany is dying and I am too. Only I'm gonna be the one left standing at her funeral. I've buried way too many people. I can't to it again. I can't.

"Derek, they found something." Stiles says opening the door. I spin around.

"What is it?" I ask.

"It's a mixture of wolfsbane and wolf lichen. Deaton thinks he can save her." He replies. I nod slowly.

"Is she awake yet?" I add.

"Kind of, but she's just speaking nonsense." He shrugs. "She's responsive though, which is good."

"Good, good." I nod. "I'm gonna go check on her."

"She might not recognize you Derek." He sighs.

"I don't care, I need to see her." I shake my head and walk to the door.

+++++

I hold her hand in both of mine, she's so fragile. Deaton gave her what should save her before I got here. She's starting to look better.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you it's rude to stare?" She scoffs opening only one eye.

"You've been almost dead for two days and that's the first thing you say?" I deadpan.

"I love you." She smiles closing her eyes.

"I love you too Brittany." I smile.

"How long have I been out Derek?" She asks.

"Only two days." I reply softly.

"So, Conner should've starved by now, even if Garrett is dead. He still should've starved." She mutters. "If not I'll just have to get my hands a little dirty."

"How'd you know about Garrett?" I ask.

"Scott was talking about it, I heard him talking." She replies. "Oh well."

"Don't worry about it Brit, just get some rest. You still need to heal."

"Showing mercy is weakness." She mumbles before nodding off.