14. Surprise Motherfucker

My eyes slowly flutter open and I roll in his arms to face him. I smile at sleeping man and gently caress his cheek. His eyes flutter open and he sleepily smiles.

"Hey beautiful." Derek says in a sleepy voice, making me melt.

"Morning, sunshine." I smile. We kiss and slowly withdraw. I cuddle up closer to him and close my eyes.

"Are you skipping school today?" He asks rubbing my back.

"Yeah, I'm not risking being brutally murdered by Garrett." I reply.

"What if he tries to come here?" Derek raises an eyebrow. "What are you gonna do then hm?"

"Then I'm going to use you as a shield and then run." I deadpan.

"Ouch, that really hurts babe." He says.

"Love hurts baby, that's just how it is." I state before kissing his neck and rolling out of bed. I grab a silk robe and put it on. "I'm getting a shower, RSVP only, clothing prohibited." I wink before walking toward the bathroom.

"Who do I call?" He asks sitting up in the bed.

"Are you coming or not?" I turn around and lean against the wall.

"Oh, I never turn down shower invite." He smirks.

+++++

I lay on the couch, my head in his lap. This whole thing feels cliche, we barely know each other and we're dating. Not just dating either. Not anymore at least. I slowly open my eyes and grab his hand.

"What's wrong?" Derek asks squeezing my hand.

"Nothing." I shake my head before lightly kissing his forearm. He softly smiles at me before caressing my cheek.

"What's bothering you Brit?"

"Der, I'm fine. Really." I reply.

"I may barely be a werewolf anymore, but I can still pick up on chemosignals." He states.

"Right there is part of it, then the fact that we're all being hunted for money. You have 15 to your name, I have 25. Dad is starting to drink again, he tries to hide it, but that's pretty damn hard to do when I can smell it from a mile away. I'm almost eighteen now and I don't even think I'll live long enough to make it there." I spill my feelings.

"There's more than that, your heart jumped at the end." He says softly.

"Last night I got a text." I pause and take a deep breath. "I got a text from Conner, my ex." I take another deep breath. "He's pissed that I left, and he's coming to Beacon Hills to make my life even more of a living hell that what it already is." I bite my lip and slowly release it. "He's extremely possessive, and he doesn't care that I almost killed him. He said it was his fault for not teaching me control after he paid his brother to turn me." I take another deep breath. "If he catches your scent on me, he'll try to kill you. And you don't exactly have the strength to keep him from doing so."

"He won't hurt me Brittany." Derek says squeezing my hand.

"Yeah, because he will kill you. He was strong for a beta, now he's an alpha Derek. He killed his brother for power, and now he's going to kill you for me." I deadpan.

"Or we can tip off Garrett or any other assassin roaming around and they'll kill him." He states.

"What about the berserkers? They're still somewhat human right?" I ask.

"Yeah, barely." He replies.

"I could siren them into getting rid of Conner, couldn't I?"

"Or you could just siren Conner." He says.

"Shit, why didn't I think of that?" I say. "What would I do without you?"

"Crash and burn." He smiles at me.

"Probably." I smile.

"Do you feel a little better?" He asks.

"I feel a lot better." I reply nodding. My phone buzzes and I check it.

Surprise love, guess who flew in early.

"Brit? Are you okay?" Derek asks, my heart going crazy. "Brittany? Brit? What's wrong? Brittany?" My phone falls onto the floor and I get up before trying to walk away. "Brittany, talk to me." I shake my head before I collapse.