The Flesh

We have talked about the spirit but now it is time to talk about the flesh! Like the spirit, I actually find the flesh interesting as well! I hope you guys enjoy and if you wouldn't mind on voting and commenting it would mean a lot and I will know that there are people reading and enjoying this!

There are many differences between the flesh and the holy spirit but one thing I wanted to say before I get into it is everyone has the flesh. Even if you have the spirit you still have the flesh. Even Jesus had it! Hebrews 2:14 says "Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil".

One thing that I find interesting is just like the spirit, the flesh can provide fruits too. I like to call them the fruits of the flesh. Galatians 5:19-21 says "Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these". Keep in mind that you can commit these in your heart as well and it is obvious when someone is doing the works of the flesh, just like when someone is doing the works of the spirit.

There is a constant battle going on between the spirit and the flesh. Matthew 26:41 makes it simple and puts it like this, "the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak". We want to do what God wants us to do. Our spirit is willing to do the will of God but our flesh is weak and when we do the desires of the flesh it brings us further away from God. But do not worry! Our God is a forgiving God!

We must set our minds on the spirit and not on the flesh. Romans 8:6 says "For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace". If we set our minds on the spirit, we will do the will of the spirit and its desires. But if we set our minds on the flesh, we will do the will of the flesh and its desires. If we think about setting our mind on the flesh for our whole life, where will it get us? I like to see it as if we set our minds on the flesh, we will fall deeper and deeper into sin and there will be nothing for us but death. The spirit has so much more to offer and if we follow it for our whole life we will find life and peace which is Jesus Christ.

Romans 6:6 says "We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin". I like this because following the desires of flesh is sin but God paid for it on the cross so that means we do not have to follow the desires of the flesh. So, will you follow the holy spirit and receive life? Or follow the flesh and receive death? The choice is up to you!