6: The Night Fire Lit Us Up

Biya's POV

He had closed the door. I just stared into his eyes like I haven't expected for him to ask me that kind of question. He shouldn't be here. I told myself. He looked tired, his usual clean self was gone. His buttoned shirt has wrinkles in them and he had bags under his eyes making me want to make him rest. I thought I have been dumping my feelings for him but here I was thinking of those things for him. I was pathetic to still have these kinds of feelings. I shouldn't care anymore. Not to him. I shook my head at him.

"No. It's not because of you. I am not staying away from you. I need to review and the next hospital I will be working with is near here." I replied in a monotone voice and I heard him sigh.

"If this is about people mobbing you then I'll do something to make them leave you."

"I don't want anything from you." I automatically replied with coldness in every word. Haven't he heard about what we have talked about? I saw him visibly flinch.

"And why do you want to talk to me? I told you about this. We shouldn't be meeting or even talking about us except when we're with our friends. I am not a concern of yours anymore." I said crossing my arms across my chest.

"It concerns me that I am affecting your life." He had affected my life. He broke my heart. He was the only man who's capable of doing something drastic.

"I am getting used to it. Besides, hiding is my forte." I replied and I saw his anger through his eyes.

"I never wanted this, Beatrice. I told you that I am still here. We could have worked this out." He gritted his teeth. I chuckled shaking my head.

"Ah! Now you are telling me what you want to say. After a year, Emil. Well, let's dive into this topic, shall we?" His eyes turned darker and it seemed like his expression turned dark too.

"After a year, I have kept this balled up. You are the reason why. You left!"

"Me? I wasn't the reason why we broke up. Your fame got us in here. Your spotlight made other women fly towards you. I only left as the effect of what you have caused." I was growing angry right now and I have my hands balled up. My anger kept my tears at my bay. He frowned.

"That was only one time, Beatrice. I was fucking drunk." He defended himself. I scoffed.

"Oh come on, Emilio. Everyone knows you have been with the other woman for weeks." He tried to talk but I cut him off.

"Three weeks. Three freaking weeks that you were out there with her in every occasion you were invited. Everytime I asked why the same woman, you just said that she's a friend. Well, no one sleeps with his friend!" I burst out and he looked down. Ah! There it was. So it was really true and it hurt more than I expected. My jaw clenched.

"I was drunk, Beatrice. You know you're the only woman I wanted to be with."

"Wanted? You could have controlled the situation before it happened, Emil. You could have controlled it and you know I was waiting for you at your penthouse and what did you do? You took her out for a drink. I went back to my apartment worrying about you while you were out there believing the woman I have been telling you not to be with." I scoffed again, trying to control myself from kicking him out. Literally. We had a deal that it would be alright for him to go out at the events with some partner because he didn't want his fame be caught up with his private life. That's what he said. I trusted him. But then, I noticed the same woman and I was getting suspicious about it. And how right I was! And how wrong I was to put my trust in him.