20: The Day I Became a Rock

Emil's POV

I waited for her call or text after that day but it didn't come. Maybe she thought I was only joking just to talk to her or she's really busy with her work now. Or she doesn't really want to talk to me... I sighed at the thought. I was in a meeting but I cannot get her out of my head. Someone was speaking in front of me and my colleagues but I kept on zoning out wondering what she's doing and how was she.

"Sir? Sir?" Martina spoke to me distracting me.

"What?"

"Mr. Mccoulough is asking for your opinion." She whispered to me and I looked at the nervous man in a scruffy suit standing in front of me. Everyone was silent waiting for my opinion. Damn it. I was too distracted to zone in to them.

"Let's have a break first." I declared covering the fact I didn't listen. I will just review their presentation and ask Martina about his question later. They all nodded and quietly walked out of the assembly room.

"Are you okay, sir?" She asked once they were all gone.

"Yes. I am fine." She looked worried.

"Give me the files." She gave it to me then I asked what his question was before.

"He was asking if he can show you his hotel and resort, sir." She replied. I looked over the documents he had checking any suspicious information on why his hotel was going down to bankruptcy. Apparently, he didn't know how to manage one just by looking at his history. Geez. It's a good investment since it's in Miami. The property just needed a big push in terms of improvement.

"The properties need a lot of improvement both in management and the hotel and resort." I commented and I wrote it on a piece of paper. Martina started to take notes too as I began to talk on how to save the dying hotel and resort. It was a shame Mr. Mccoulough didn't know how to make them alive. I wanted what he had worked so hard for to survive. I want to give them hope. After my deliberation, I decided to save the hotel and be the major investor of it. Martina called the men back in and we started to discuss the arrangement and the deals we will have for the properties. Once it was done, Mr. Mccoulough had the biggest smile on his face and his eyes were twinkling with happiness.

"You just save what I wanted to have in all my life, Mr. Carini." He said as we shook hands.

"No problem. I will take care of the matter while you begin to change your attitude when it comes to business." He scratched the back of his neck at that.

"Yes, Mr. Carini. I am sorry I have to transfer my problem to you."

"I will solve this and save it." I told him and he nodded.

"Thank you."

"The pleasure is all mine."

"I will visit the properties soon. Martina will contact you once we have arranged our schedule."

"Of course, Mr. Carini. You're welcome there anytime." He said. Finally, the meeting was done and I went straight to my suite to rest. I looked at my phone and she still didn't contact me. A knock on the door disrupted the disappointment enveloping me. I pushed myself up from the bed and went to open the door.

"Dante! What are you doing here?" I asked the boy who was in his pajamas. He looked like a child to me rather than a man. He was growing to me and I realized I was treating him so much like a close friend rather than an employee. He's always here whenever he's concerned or he sees something in me. It's possible that he's my personal psychologist or something.