25: The Days I Got Lost

Biya's POV

The tension in the air was lifted once the operation was done and I felt so relieved that Mr. Arnaldo was going to be fine. It felt strange worrying so much about him. I am not like this with other patients. I always remain calm when I encounter this kind of situations but having him as our patient gave me pressure and nervousness. It's not everyday you meet the father of your ex- fiancé let alone be a patient of yours. Everyone in my team was looking at me warily and it made the tension in my chest grow tighter. We were in the private room of Arnaldo watching over him and waiting for his family to arrive. I was in a very uncomfortable position and I cannot stand still. Viv gave me a sad smile understanding the awkward position I was in.

"Can I please go?" I asked Blaze in a whisper and he thought for a few seconds. He let out a sigh before he talked.

"Very well. However, if I need you, you should be here." He said with a pointed look and I nodded.

"Of course, Blaze. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Go check on our other patients then report back to me in the office." He ordered then I excused myself from the team. I was about to open the door when it opened. It surprised me and I have to take a step back so the other person who opened it on the other side would open the door fully. I looked at the person who opened the door and got frozen when I was face to face with Maria Carini. Emil's mother.

"Good day, ma'am!" I greeted before giving her more space and I have to look away. I can't look directly into her eyes.

"Good day." I heard her say in a soft tone before she approached her husband. I was about to get out of the room when a pair of shiny black Oxford shoes appeared on my sight. I gulped as nervousness gripped me tight and my throat became dry. He's here...

"Good day, sir!" I managed to say without stuttering and I felt as if I was suffocating. I was still looking down not wanting to see his face.

"Good day... Dottoressa Kairis." He breathed out. My breath was caught and I was stuck on my place.

"Good day Mrs. Carini. Mr. Emilio Carini." Blaze acknowledged the visitors and he started a conversation about Arnaldo's health. I nodded at Blaze as he saved me from any awkwardness.

"Excuse me." I squeaked before I got out of the room running through the hallway trying to calm my nerves. I went straight to the office and gathered myself together.

Breathe in. Breathe out. I paced around the office trying to ease my mind from the tension and concern I have for the Carini family. I shouldn't worry, right? Nothing will happen because of this... this... Ugh! Why was I worrying over nothing? I breathed in clearing my head before I took the files containing our patients' records and set my mind back to work. I took off my white coat and read all that I needed to learn about them. When I was done, I wore my white coat, put my stethoscope on my shoulders and put my pager in my pocket. Opening the door, I was shocked to see Emil standing in front of me with his eyebrows furrowed and he looked like he was deep in his thoughts.

"Emil!" His name was uttered out of my tongue in surprise.

"What are you doing here?" I asked and in came out harshly. He looked down scratching his nape before he looked at me. I waited for his reply as he opened his mouth then closed it again.

"I just want to say thank you for saving my father." He said looking at me with his sapphire eyes darker than usual. His eyes were dilated. My heart jumped at the sight but I eventually realized this was not right.