29: The Night There was the 'Calm before the Storm'

Biya's POV

Conversations buzzed around me and the mood was light yet full of energy. Champagne was served as we looked around Nyle's pictures. I have heard praises and critiques and I hope they will tell him what they wanted to say and not backstab him or keep on pointing it out without them addressing it to him. I was walking around alone and I tried searching for any familiar faces but I have not succeeded. I needed to talk to someone. I was still processing what I have heard from Emil and Em's conversation. This was the consequence for eavesdropping. I should have just walked away. I should not have cared. I took a drink from my glass. Looking at the sparkling wine in my hand, I began thinking whether it would be good to me if I drink the night away to forget what I have just heard. He still loves me. I didn't know what to say to that. I was left speechless and I felt like there was something heavy pressing against my chest. I needed fresh air. I began searching for the exit or a balcony. It took me two minutes to find an impressively landscaped garden; the ground was rich with luscious green grass, roses in different colors bloomed circling the whole wide garden, small trees, shrubs and bushes planted on the sides, a marble fountain built from the ground with its water having the illusion of spilling on the ground was placed in the middle,  and flat stones laid out on the grass as a pathway. I took a deep breath closing my eyes and let all the confusion and frustration out with a big sigh. No one was here but me and I was glad I can have my privacy. I knew they were talking about me and thinking about it now, I shouldn't care. I have my own life. I have moved on. I have Zeke. Remembering him, I searched for a seat or a place I can put my drink down. I spotted a marble bench on the right side of the garden and settled there. I took my phone out of my pouch and dialed his number.

"Hi Beatrice." Zeke greeted and I was nervous about our conversation. I was afraid of the outcome. I was afraid that we might fight again.
"Hello..."
"I'm so happy we finally talked."
"Me too."
"Where are you?"
"I'm at my brother's gallery show." There was a pause before he spoke again.
"Which part of the building are you?"
"Garden, why?" I asked him and there was a muffled sound on the other side of the line.
"Give me a sec." He said so I waited.
"Beatrice..." I heard him breathe out my name and I turned around to see him in a black suit, dark blue shirt and red tie. I slowly stood up as he approached me. I had a small smile on my face while he looked like he was relieved to see me with his eyes twinkling. I didn't show any reaction but it melted my heart seeing he still cared. It hurt me the most to see the ones I love turn around with no care. I have grown surviving the life on the streets and I have been abandoned multiple times.
"Please forgive me. I can't take it anymore. I can't survive another day without seeing you. Please." He begged while he kept on walking in a slow steady pace.
"I'm really sorry. I'm sorry for acting like a jerk. For assuming things. For scaring you. I'm sorry. I realized my actions was causing you to withdraw and I didn't like it. Not one bit." My heart raced hearing his sincere apology.
"I love you, Beatrice. Please. I have learned my lesson." He ended his speech at the exact moment he stood a foot away from me.
"Which is?" I asked him still sending him my poker face. I crossed my arms against my chest to somehow create a barrier and stared right into his eyes trying to look for any danger or lies but he didn't have any. All I saw were guilt, regret, sadness, and his care and it made me feel better about us.
"That- that..." He sighed looking down on the ground.
"Man. This is harder than I have I thought." He chuckled nervously and ran his fingers through his hair. I can't help but smile at the way he was acting.
"That I shouldn't come to a conclusion without gathering more information or facts. I have doubted you and it's not good and healthy for us. I shouldn't let those unpleasant thoughts corrupt my mind.  I'm sorry for not trusting you completely. It was my fault. I won't do that again." He finished looking right into my eyes. I held my hands out and his mouth curved up into a smile.
"I am giving you a second chance. I forgive you." I accepted his apology for I saw what I needed to see. He breathed out a sigh of relief before he pulled me into a tight embrace.
"Thank you so much! God. I missed you so much." He spoke nuzzling into my neck and I sought his warmth.
"I missed you too." I said and hugged him back.
"Please don't do that again. You scared me." I plead and he pulled out looking at me.
"I won't. I promise you that. I was... scared of losing you."
"You shouldn't because I am not leaving you. This is your second chance, Zeke. Please don't do that again. Please don't hurt me again." He pulled me in again and kissed my cheek.
"I promise." He said and I melted. Everybody deserved a second chance. I give everyone a second chance and if they still hurt me in any way, then it's time for me to say goodbye.