Paved and Cold.

*AU: Out of Voltron universe. Normal lives.*
IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---
_____________________________________

Perhaps something the group did the most, was go shopping at the mall together. What else would a ragtag team of friends do on a Saturday afternoon?

“Who wants to head back to the Orange Leaf for some frozen yogurt?” Hunk suggested, looking around for the shop as he asked.

“We just got done at the rides! I don't know about you, but my stomach needs to return to it's rightful place in my body before I do that.” Pidge chuckled, giving Hunk a look with a small smirk at her lips.

“Well, I was just thinking…maybe we'd be thirsty after screaming on the ride, ya know?”

“I think that idea sounds good, Hunk.” Shiro said with a smile, adjusting his string bag that held everyone's things. Just like a dad.

Hunk smiled, and the decision was made. “I think it was up near the jewelry department.”

The group started their way after Hunk, the broad guy leading the way to the Orange Leaf.

Everyone looked a little relieved, able to sit down for a little while.

“Aw man, Orange Leaf is gonna be great! I'm gonna have so much frozen yogurt that my brain will freeze!” Lance exclaimed z excited to have somewhere to go.

The indoor roller coaster was fun, don't get him wrong, but he loved to try new things.

“Trust me, it's already frozen.” Keith snickered.

Lance turned around, scoffing and stuck out his tongue. “Oh, whatever! Maybe it'd cool ya down, hothead.”

“Lance, don't start an argument. We're here to have a good time before finals next week.” Shiro scolded, glancing to his blue eyed friend.

Aforementioned boy frowned a bit, but was quickly replaced with his smile. “Aw, Shiro. I was only joking.”

“There it is!” Hunk announced, starting to walk faster. “Oh man, such fruity smells. I bet they have the best blenders. Oooh, if I could work there…” he rambled on.

Thankful for the distraction, Lance moved on ahead of Hunk and the others to the frozen yogurt shop. Luckily, Orange Leaf wasn't too busy yet.

“Check out the menu!” The boy was drawn to the delicious pictures and bright colors.

What he didn't notice, was how the group had stopped behind him. The reason?

Well, a certain mullet haired human had caught sight of a store, Hot Topic, and demanded they went there. Orange Leaf could wait, who knew how long the store would be semi-empty!

Assuming Lance was close behind, they grumbled and changed course, turning across the hallway to the dark store.

Lance was rapid fire describing the things he saw on the menu, still unaware that his friends left him.

“Pidge! I know you said you didn't want any but they've got limeade! I know you like green…” he chuckled. “And Hunk, they have a gourmet menu! Is that awesome?”

Lance stared up enthusiastically​ at the menu, waiting for the voices of his friends behind him.

“And I think I'll get the blueberry…”

Still no reply, Lance turned around. “Are you guys deciding? Hunk, I--- Guys?” Lance blinked, eyes shifting as he noticed his friends were nowhere in sight.

“Guys? Where'd ya go?” Lance started to feel a little bit uneasy. He didn't like to be left alone.

Anxiety starting to prickle his chest, Lance went to the dining and seating booth and looked.

No friends. There were a lot of people in the mall anyway, he just needed a higher angle.

Lance grabbed a chair from a table, pulling it over and clambered up steadily. “Okay…”

With still no sign of his friends amongst the crowd of bustling bodies and bobbing heads, Lance sighed.

He'd just have to get their attention somehow.

Lance bit his lip, hoping they hadn't left him.

That thought freaked him out, and his anxieties grew evermore.

“LANCE IS A USELESS HUMAN BEING!”

That ought to grab their attention. They would know it wasn't true, and look up at the mention of his name. Maybe Hunk would punch whoever he thought said it, telling them it wasn't true and how dare they.

But no one looked up but an older women, who scowled at him. She had been reading.

With a small apology, Lance went back to hopefully looking for his friends. The blue eyed boy found them across the mall, standing in the window of a dark shop, completely oblivious.

Oh…

He swallowed hard, stepping down from the chair. No problem, he probably just hadn't been loud enough. Right?

Lance forced a smile onto his face, but felt his eyes stinging as he kept watch. They should have been able to hear him. That old lady did.

They're just preoccupied.

But Lance couldn't​ even believe that himself.

It wasn't that he wasn't loud enough. It was that no one cared to hear. Lance was just an annoying noise that people tried their best to keep from hearing.

Orange Leaf suddenly didn't sound so appealing, because his whole body was cold and numb now. Might as well be non-existent.

Lance trudged over, and as he approached he pulled on his smile. His mask.

“Uh, hey guys. What are we doing?”

Keith and Pidge were engulfed in conversation over a certain manga.

Hunk looking at some Sushi plushies.

Shiro looked over at Lance, “Hm?” He made no notion that he knew Lance had been gone. “We're looking at this shop.”

The time he used made Lance burn inside. Shiro said it like it was obvious, like Lance was the one who was the odd one here.

They had gone off without him!

His heart thudded, and Lance smiled brighter. It didn't reach his eyes. “Are we getting Orange Leaf?”

Shiro frowned, again, “Be patient. Keith wanted to check this place out. If you want to go so bad then go.” He shook his head, joining the others.

Lance didn't like that. Something inside if him snapped, and the stinging tears dripped into his tanned skin.

“FINE!!!”

Oh now they heard him. And everyone within a 30 foot radius. All eyes turned to him.

“F-Fine!!! I'll go off in my own. Yeah, I'll do that.” He started to tremble. “At least I'll TELL YOU!” Lance shouted, making a scene.

Keith and the others exchanged a glance, all looking uncomfortable. “Lance, be quiet. People are starting to stare.”

Lance whipped around and glared at Keith, tears flowing now, and he opened his mouth to say something. But no words came out.

He wheezed, struggling for words, before turning and going back the way they had come. “I'll be in the car.”

The further away he got, the harder it became to calm down. The stronger the stream of tears fell. The more dark his thoughts became.

By the time he got out of there, he fell to his knees on the pavement and didn't care about the scrapes that would form on his knees.

He deserved them.

Lance might as well disappear, melt in the hot California heat and become a simple stain in the pavement. Just to be walked on.

Because really, what more was he?