The Sky's the Limit.

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---
Lance stared up at the light blue sky, watching as wisps of clouds flitted past and swirled in circles.

Imagine flight.

He brought his knees up, holding them to his chest and he felt six years old again.

Ankle high grass brushed around him, a few trees in the distant expanse.

Lance used to like to imagine where the trails from passing planes went to. Where they had been.

Imagine flying high up there, free to go as you please. Only few can make it up there, so who would bring you down?

Lance used to have a tree house, which purpose he tended to waste. He was never actually inside it.

What the boy would do instead was climb to the top and sit, stand, reach for the sky.

He was a climber of the next tallest tree.
Any one he thought was bigger than the last he had to climb.

"Higher!" He would cry, eyes crinkled in joy as he reached new heights.

Closer to the birds, touch the clouds.

Higher.

Higher.

When would that simple childish wish to reach the sky turn into something bitter and disgusting?

Deadly.
Higher.

Lance remembered when and where and why he had his first high. The day the deadly leaf took him over and became something he'd rely on for years.

His big brother had been doing it.

Lance was always trailing in his footsteps, going and doing where he went and what he did.

When Lance was twelve years old he smoke his first blunt; given to him by his role model.

If you've ever heard of someone's story of the drug trail you know it's nothing pretty.

It's stupid.

Lance could give you a detailed example of what it was like; he hated that he could.

When the blue eyed boy hit his first high, it wa as blissful feeling that Lance never wanted to come down from.

He was soaring higher than he'd ever reached as a kid. His gateway to a whole new world up above.

The first high is always the best.
Let him break it down for you.

When you jump, trying to jump as high as you can, you build up all this energy for this first jump.

It'll be your highest jump, twice as high as you'll ever be and you feel great about reaching that.

But what goes up, must come down.
It's called a crash.

Now, with each crash you don't start in the same place you where before you jumped.

And because of this, you will never jump as high as you did on your first jump. No matter how hard you try.

You'll never get higher than that first time.

Lance moved on to bigger things, trying to reach that first high that he'd been trying to get since childhood.

He never would.

Soon, up in the sky became his normal.
If Lance didn't have his high, all of those little monsters would crawl into his system and he'd feel like...

Well, shit.

There was a time when Lance reached too far for that high. He nearly did reach the sky, but not how he'd expected.

Lance was pronounced dead twice, brought back three times.

What goes up, must come down.
It lasted for years, the drugs.

But a day, walking in a random park and high out of his heels, Lance looked up.

He had just been discharged from the hospital and he looked up.

Blue eyes met a white line in the blue sky.

If Lance were dead how would he ever get to find out where those white lines went?

He'd never made it to the sky, and he never would if he had died. Someone up there gave him another chance twice.

Lance didn't want to test it.
Third times the charm and Lance was gonna stay.

He was going to find out where those planes went, go where they go.

All of his friends helped him.
And it wasn't something happened overnight and suddenly it was all better.

No.

It took months, years.

But he did it. It was possible.
Lance recovered from his addiction.

Lance wouldn't sugar coat the explanation of you asked him how hard it was.

He would tell you how many hours he'd spent locked in a bathroom with Hunk sitting on top of him telling him what all this was for.

He relapsed more than once.

But you know what?
Lance made it to the sky.

Lance travelled all over.

He befriended lions, met foreign people.
Lance went on the adventure of a life time all over the world.

He went skydiving.

Lance made it. He recovered.

And now, not even the sky was his limit.