Bloom.

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---
It was supposed to be a simple gesture, just something nice. How could have it had gone so horribly wrong?

The team had just defeated an island monster on another alien planet, ridding it’s inhabitants of the threat. Another beast sent by Zarkon in an attempt to destroy Voltron once and for all, bait for the team.

This one had been nearly 100 meters tall, with one giant eye, but thousands of holes that covered its body. Hunk had described it as an ‘inverted pufferfish’, which Pidge had concluded to be quite accurate. The being blew air from each of the crevices, making it nearly impossible to approach without getting their beams blown right back at them.

Eventually, Shiro and Hunk had come up with a plan to swipe its legs and well...’pop’ it.

It had gone successfully, and the Paladins had been invited to a celebratory party in their favor. In casual attire, everyone milled about. Hunk was intent to try the culture’s exotic foods, Pidge seemed intrigued by the infrastructure of the building.

Shiro, with Keith nearby as usual, was socializing and keeping watch. The little alien kids were fascinated by the Black paladins robot arm, and Keith’s ‘eccentric’ hair. It was quite amusing.

“Our flowers are connected to the lake….”

“...literally draws you in…”

Shiro seemed mildly interested.

Lance stood with Princess Allura, shifting from right to left. There wasn’t much else for him to do. Allura was just watching the commotion with a serene happiness, peaceful.

“So, Princess. I was thinking… This place has got some pretty wicked growth. Did you see the trees?” He asked, smiling at her as he attempted to engage in polite conversation.

“Yes, Lance.” Allura sighed and looked at him, tilting her head. She had a tired expression on her face, not really interested in talking with the Blue paladin at the moment. “I saw the flowers, I believed they were quite beautiful.”

Lance perked at this, “Flowers? You liked those? That’s cool.”

He then decided that he was dead set on getting her those flowers.

“Yes, they were near the lake when we landed. I was amazed by their glow. Lance, excuse me but I’m going to check and see if Coran needs any help with repairs.” She glided off, a wispy motion in Lance’s eyes that he found beautiful.

“Yeah! Alright…” Lance watched her go, nodding lightly.

And then he was off.

He wormed his way through the crowd, apologizing here and there, before making it out of the other side. It had been a feat that took nearly 7 minutes, but it had been accomplished. He even managed to get only a light stain of mystery beverage on his sleeve.

“Glowing flowers by the lake, glowing flowers by the lake…”

The blue eyed man was not aware of Keith’s eyes on him from the moment he’d left his spot on the steps where he’d been with the Princess only moments earlier. Keith was suspicious.

“What is he up to?” Keith mumbled, turning and watched his team member exit through the castle’s main entrance.

Lance took a quick breath as fresh air hit him, and found himself relieved to be out of the stuffy air full of unpleasant alien smell. It was nothing like the way parties on Earth smelled, or fiestas.

“Alright, where is the lake?” Lance asked himself, like he was expecting to get an answer.

The good thing about piloting the Blue lion, and being Lance in general, was that sensing water and hearing it came like second nature. Lance could hear its light waves, swishing on a gravel shore. The fluttering of organisms brushing the surface and animals dipping to drink.