Cease, River.

*Trigger Warning: self harm and suicide is in the following chapter. DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE NEGATIVELY IMPACTED BY THIS SORT OF THING.*

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---

It was just a little white line, but it would stay there for the rest of his life as a total reminder of what he had done.

It was honestly sort of silly, and felt even more so each time he had to share the story with a new counsellor.

A friend who cared.
A lover who asked.

Unless you were looking, you probably wouldn't see it. The scar was maybe half an inch long, give or take.

But it held a dreadful story.

---

Lance stared at the little bracelet he held in his hands. He had gotten the stupid thing at an arcade for thirty tickets or something.

It was made of those 'emo' square things that were usually on belts, only this was one row of black and white.

Lance didn't even know why he had gotten it, instead of another candy piece or something.

He didn't know how attached he would become to the thing, unfortunately.

It had just been another hard day.

Tests failed.
Flaws shoved in his face by household members, the usual.

Lance had become so apathetic to the ordeal though that now it had no effect on him.

He was a walking and sometimes talking robot that went about his daily routine, never changing.

Now, Lance wouldn't say his emotions were gone. Definitely not.

It had become, more so, that the emotions he did feel were just routine.

Constant anxiety the caused him to fidget and his chest to feel tight.

For bad thoughts to creep in.

That's how Lace had discovered what this bracelet could do. In that moment.

The blue red boy had only been fidgeting with the thing when he realized he was bending back something sharp.

The bent material that kept the squares in place. It completely captivated him.

Lance did not know why the thought crossed his mind, but it did as he bent the tip from the bracelet and he stared.

He'd heard of cutting.
Some of his friends mentioned it in their past, but had always overcome it.

Lance knew it generated a feeling that wasn't as routine as his entire life.

Physical pain.

Now, Lance knew that this would lead him to a complicated road that would give him more anxiety than he was previously dealing with.

You have to cover the scars.
You have to keep it secret.

So many burdens that came with doing this; and the decision making process.

What if he cut too deep?

Lance didn't necessarily want to die, yet.

But the thought that he would feel something besides his day to day anxiety and depression drove him further.

He started on the top of his left arm.
Lance wasn't sure why he had picked there, he just sorta went for it.

The boy made vertical scratches, about 7-8 of them, but they weren't very deep.