True Friends.

TW: Major character death.
IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---
---

You're friends are suppose to be the most important people in your life. The real ones.

Whether you've known each other since you were learning to walk, or you met in kindergarten. Maybe you met them your first year of high school.

However you made them, they are important to you and hold a high place in your heart and you cherish them.

You know your friends like the back of your hand, or the inside of your eyelids. They are platonic soul mates.

If someone asked you, you could tell them exactly what your friend ordered at a restaurant, what their favorite colors were, and the last time they thought they were dying.

There were too many spiders you had killed together, deep conversations you've had, or random voice calls while using the bathroom.

Friends just...know each other.

Swear up and down, if you faced your friends clones, you'd know the real from the fake in an instant.

Who else would know all the words to the cringey songs you used to listen to as kids? Not a clone, that's for sure.

Lance never thought, that being put in that situation, his friends would choose wrong.

They wouldn't know.

Even Hunk, for goodness sake.
None of them had known.

Haggar had cast a spell on the blue paladin, leaving him with a double of himself that left everyone in shock.

"Only one blue paladin makes it out of here, it's up for you to choose the right one. You bond with your lions, but do you bond with your team?" She had menacingly stated.

Of course they bonded!
Lance knew everything about all of his friends, and he was sure they would know the same!

Shiro secretly liked to binge on snacks at two in the morning, just because he didn't want to adult.

Pidge would never admit it, but she used to read the Harry Potter series at least once a year. Classics!

Hunk liked to have his hair braided, but only in secret. It reminds him of the way his little sister did it back at home, making little braids everywhere.

Keith was actually really good with animals, not so much people. His favorite animals were dogs and hamsters. His dad never allowed pets.

The blue Paladins stood before a bewildered team, poses mimicked perfectly with each other and expressions similar.

Shock, and a hint of disgust.
Lance had to play this smoothly.

"Well, hello there handsome." Both Paladins cooed at each other in unison, finger guns striking each other.

That guy didn't have as good of a smile, he was clearly the clone! And his hair? Ugh, so greasy. The team was sure to tell the difference right off the bat!

"Oh my god.." Pidge groaned. "Now it's doubly annoying! How are we supposed to tell them apart?"

Real Lances heart stuttered, and he looked nervously at Pidge.

"By the more attractive one obviously!" Fake Lance exclaimed, making wide motions with his arms.

RL bit his lip, unsure how to prove that he was the legitimate Lance. "Guys, please, it's me. I'm the real Lance!"

The boy had never felt so scared, watching his friends glance at each other uncertainly.

"Fifteen seconds! Decide, Voltron, or both perish." Haggar warned, hands sparking purple magic.

It was like the world took a drastic turn and slowed down. Everything real Lance saw seemed to be a dream.

The way the team whispered, casting glances at the duo that tried so desperately to convince that themself was real.

The way Haggars Magic intensfied, filling the room with purple sparks and heat, not helping the nervous sweat rolling down his neck.

Desperate cries that were fair in the ringing of his ears as they pointed at him, the way the clone next to him hollered in triumph.

They had chosen wrong.

Lance felt sick to his stomach.
They had chosen wrong.

"Times up, Voltron!" A screech.

Now, it's understandable that someone may not know every living and breathing detail about their friends.

That's what keeps friendships alive.
But after knowing someone for so long, you would think your friends would know the real you.

Given a life or death situation, would outgoing friends ACTUALLY stay outgoing?  No fear showing through?

You would know the answer is no, because if you knew your friends, you would know better. They are scared.

They don't want to die, and you are their only hope. The only thing you'd need to know, is that they trust you with their fear.

They trust you to make the right choices, to understand, and you act as someone for them to cling to.

But the Paladins made the wrong choice.
They went with the Lance they were used to seeing.

Confident, giddy, laughing in the hard times. Not Lance, who was scared of dying.

Not Lance, who wa afraid of not being known. Of being a nobody, no ones hero.

Not the Lance who thought his friends knew him, who would carry on with a false paladin, without any knowledge.

Would they ever notice?

It hurt. It hurt a lot.
The betrayal, more so than the pain that was starting to settle into his body.

Lance spasmed as electric bolts of energy, purple and ugly, shocked through him and sent smoke whisking off of him.

His screams cut through everyone's hearing, and his crying as the boy crumbled to the floor.

The blue Paladins heart stopped moments after, but his body still twitched and he went limp ace for the muscle nerves giving one last burst.

Blood dripped from his nose, staining his tanned skin, rolled down his cheek, and onto the floor in a steady glide.

The last thing he saw, was the fake Lande running to his team and giving them high fives. The hug reviewed from Hunk, and their backs as they surged back into battle.

Lance was left in the dust, eyelids falling shut as he left himself, as he died on that floor.

Forgotten.
Betrayed.

A nobody.