Fun and Games.

*Prompt by lance.lance.revolution on Instagram! Story by me.*

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---

*Slight graphic descriptions.*

'It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.' Is how the saying goes.

Words that could probably surpass Shakespeare in terms of how well known and 'wise' they were.

How come the human race has trouble understanding a quote so simple as that?

When you were a kid you brushed your parents off, of course no one was going to get hurt.

No way.

But then of course, later, everyone was piling into the minivan because someone broke their arm.

It was all fun and games.

When Lance and the others made it to space they didn't have much of a chance to have fun.

Defend the universe this.
Defeat Zarkon that.

Train now, rest later.

Lance understood that all of this was incredibly important, lives were on the line.

But wasn't a little fun needed once in awhile? The quote doesn't go:

'It's all training and battles until somebody had fun.'

Lance was determined. He wanted to have fun and at the same time develop core skills needed within the team.

Especially in times like this.
Trust.

So he started falling.
Literally.

No one understood what he was doing the first couple of days. Just yelling 'trust fall' and landing on his back.

The others weren't as entertained, but Shiro did catch him more than the others.

But when the heat of battle came Lance understood it was time to be serious.

When they were doing hard training, it was time to be serious. The others needed to focus, not worry about catching Lance.

It started where Keith became the one to catch Lance, just for fun. The red paladin was always so serious, that he appreciated Lance's antics at times.

And from there it grew; a bond.

Lance would rush up to Keith and yell 'trust fall', and the mullet haired paladin caught him every time.

Sometimes, maybe once or twice, tables were turned and it was Lance catching Keith.

In these hard times the two of them bonded over the blue eyed boys silly game.

Keith smiled more.
Lance was more optimistic when the other team members brushed him off or didn't catch him.

It was Keith and Lance.

The bond was especially strong during fights, like the one that were in now.

Haggar and Zarkon locked in battle against Voltron, drones and fighter bots everywhere.

Keith was engaged in a trio of bots, slicing them down and dodging their beams of death.

"Shiro! How's it going up there?!" Keith yelled over the noise into his helmet.

The leader replied quickly, "We need you and Lance to keep holding them off. Coran and Allura have the castle off a ways to target the ship. Pidge, Hunk, and I are still busy up--- ON YOUR LEFT!"

They melded back into battle, and Keith kept hacking away at the enemy. He turned to see Lance shooting at drones.

Good, he was still alright.

But Keith had only looked away for a few seconds. He had no idea of what happens behind him until it was too late.

Lance grunted loudly, suppressing a scream as the beam of light pierced through his armor.

Oh no.

His breath was gone, rushed out of him and the blue paladin assumed it must have punctured his lung.

The blood bubbles past his lips next and he turned to see where Keith was. Lance needed to get to him.

"K...Ke..." The rest came out as a wheeze and Lance held his bleeding chest, taking his last bit of energy to stumble to Keith.

His game.
Lance knew he wasn't going to survive this, but he didn't want to go out awfully.

Lance coughed, behind Keith, "T-Trust fall!" It took all the rest of his breath to let out that yelp.

Keith had turned around, eyes wide and as he dropped to arch Lance he avoided a blow from a rover.

Sweat dropped and Keith groaned, sagging with Lances weight. "No! Lance, come on this is not the time for your gam--"

Keith became deaf to all the noise around him, a static filling his head as his heart clogged his throat.

"L-Lance!"

The entire front of the Cuban boys armor was smeared with blood, a sizable hole smoking in his chest.

There were a few traces of purple light within the wound. It was new.

Keith felt blood on his knees, and realized it had gone through the back of Lances armor.

"LANCE!!!" The red paladin screamed.

The blue eyed boy was gone, his eyes a dull thing station above him. Blood tricked down his chin from where it trickles out of the corner of his mouth.

A sob erupted from Keith and he threw his blade aside to shake Lance. No. No.

This was his friend.
He wasn't dead.

He couldn't be.
It was part of the game, right?

Keith held Lance close and sobbed into the blue Paladins limp body.

It was all fun and games, until somebody got hurt.