Some Things CAN Be Replaced.

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---
When they got Matt back, everyone was joyous. Especially Pidge and Shiro.

A brother was returned to a smaller version of a family and everyone was happy as could be.

Pidge wasn't as snappy, she got along better with everyone as she no longer had the burden of a missing brother.

Shiro wasn't as stoic, and you heard his laugh more often. He'd even crack a joke or two, he was able to lighten up.

Keith of course was glad to have Shiro back, and even happier that Shiro returned in better shape than expected, all thanks to Matt.

Matt was a fantastic contributor to the team, and was a friend to all.

He tasted Hunks cooking, and loved to give him ideas on what the yellow paladin could whip up next.

Matt was always happy to listen to his little sister go on about her projects and modifications. He was proud of her intelligence.

He even became close with Coran and Allura, fascinated by their tech and stories of Altea and its past.

Shiro and the man were inseparable.

Then Matt was introduced to the Lions.

Lance hadn't had a problem with Matt before, not a significant one at least. The guy was hilarious, and knew some of the best pick up lines.

But there were insignificant problems that the blue paladin had with the older Holt.

He was becoming Lances replacement.

In the past, Lance acted the way Matt did and was always brushed off, or received not as positive feedback.

Pidge was never interested in explaining her projects to Lance.

Keith and Shiro wouldn't offer to train with him just for fun.

Hunk might ask for a taste tester here and there, but the Mice were requested more than he was.

Lance was fine.
It's be fine.

It has only been a week and soon everything would be back to normal and Matt would just be another body in the castle.

Another person, just like everyone else.
But he only became more of a God as time went on.

When Matt met the lions, he had immediately been drawn to Blue.

Lance wasn't sure why, the guy just was.
That made an uneasy feeling rise in his gut, and his blood slow in his veins.

"Yeah, this is my girl, Blue. Isn't she a beauty?" Lance said proudly, putting a hand in the cool metal of her structure.

Matt adjusted his glasses with a sideways smile, "She sure is! Mind if I take a peek inside?"

Why couldn't Matt have been interested in the Black lion? Or maybe even the Green lion?

Why did it have to be Blue?
LANCE'S lion?

"Uh, yeah sure, she might be a little protective though, ha ha." Lance scratched the back of his neck and led Matt inside.

Why did Lance tell him yes?

After this entire week Lances dislike for Matt had only grown, and his dislike for himself only stronger.

Sure, Matt was better with his friends.
Sure, Matt trained better.

But Lance was one thing that Matt wasn't, and that was the Blue Paladin of Voltron.

"Wow, the Blue lion looks different than the other lions." Matt observed, making it to the cockpit and admiring her hardware.

Lance smiled a little, cautiously watching him. "Yeah, she's meant for the water so I guess she does have a few quirks."

Suddenly Matt sat down in the pilots seat, and Lance stiffened.

It was fine. It was fine.
Not like Matt could power her up anyway. Only the lions paladin could form that bond and---

"Woah!" Matt gasped.

Suddenly all of the lions screens turned on and lit up, the boys hands hovering over them.

Lances heart dropped.

"I think she likes me! Can you hear that Lance? It's like it's alive and purring, so weird!" Matt chuckled, and started testing buttons.

Lance didn't like that.

Matt could take his friends.
Matt could take his friendships.

He could take his jokes and his lines and his personality and all of it.

But he wasn't going to take his lion.
Lance couldn't stand here and watch the boy iterate and touch his lions buttons and sit in that seat and---

"Woah, Lance, are you alright?"

The blue paladin shook his head, coming back to the present and looked down at Matt. He looked worried.

That disgusted the blue eyed boy.

"Wait, are you...crying?" Matt asked, face scrunching and he looked uncomfortable now.

Lance wiped his eyes, "Get out."

Matt blinked, "What?"

"I said get out of my lion!!" He shouted, shoving Pidges brother. "Go train with Shiro! Cook with Hunk!"

Lance was suddenly crying harder and he just wanted Matt to go away. He was being rude and irrational and he'd be chewed out for it later but he didn't care right now.

"I wish you were still stuck on that damned Galra ship!" The blue eyed boy shouted.

The cockpit fell silent.

Matt stood, bewildered for a moment, before his features softened. "Lance, I understand you're upset. I'll go, but I'm here for you if you need me."

Lance remained stiff and quiet, minus sniffling, as Matt left the Blue lion.

The blue paladin gave it a few minutes, before shakily wiping his eyes and plopping down into Blues seat.

"God..."

Matt was even calm in situations where Lance just flipped out and made a fool of himself.

He could t think about it any longer.
There would be a lecture later and Lance could wait until then to get these feelings out again.

For now, he slept.