31DoHF: Chapter Two

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---

"Good morning, Mama."

Lance swooped in behind her as she prepared breakfast at the stove, placing a kiss on her cheek with a lingering smile.

He had woke up this morning in a good mood, even though he had the prospect of a lost phone looming over him. It wasn't a big deal, there were plans to be made in the meantime!

"Hello, darling. Did you sleep well?" She often spoiled her youngest and remaining son. "I made some oatmeal."

Lance smiled, already digging in the pantry. "Thank you Mama, I slept well."

He found himself a carton of grape juice, grabbed a couple of glasses, and poured the drink like it were an expensive wine.

Mama came over with the pot of oatmeal, pouring it into pre-set bowls on the table with a happy smile. She ruffled his hair as she sat across from him.

It was a fond gesture.

Lance dug in almost immediately, jogging his left leg under the table and shoveling oat mush into his mouth. "Mmm..."

His mother giggled, "I have raised a pig." Despite her words she looked at him with a love in her eyes only a mother can hold. "I have news, Lance."

This made the Cuban boy look up, cheeks half full with oatmeal. News? His mother only said that when people died, or a particularly disliked relative was coming over on a holiday.

He swallowed thickly, "...news?"

His mother nodded, smile dropping to one that was a little softer and slightly worried.
Lance could think of a thousand possibilities of things she could say.

Dad had died.
One of his sisters or brothers.
A grandma or grandpa?

Maybe one of his aunts was visiting? His father's sisters loved to visit Lance for the entire sake that their daughters took a liking to him.

Lance frowned, "What is it...?"

Mama chuckled, seeing the worry but she honestly shared it too, "I am going away for the weekend."

Oh.

OH.

Lance had thought it would be many things but this was not one of them. This was actually starting to bring his hopes up, but he didn't show it quite yet.

"Oh...where?"

The woman tucked a greying hair out from her face, keeping a close gaze on her son. "My sister and her boyfriend are getting married. I was invited to the wedding tomorrow, and I must leave today to get to Ohio on time."

It took Lance a moment to calm down. Not because he was worried about the possibilities mentioned earlier, but because he was excited.

"You're taking the car?" He had to keep it casual, not letting the thoughts in his teenaged mind that reeled with possibilities show.

"Yes. You'll be home alone, hijo. I trust you, you are almost an adult now. I put microwave dinners in the fridge, and I bought a box of cereal for you for breakfast. And I did your laundry in case you needed it, all emergency numbers are on the fridge, and the home phone is on."

Like he mentioned. Spoiled.

But now another issue was presenting itself, but Lance didn't have the guts to bring it up as it would crash the whole weekend.

He had no phone.

The only thought that soothed his mind was that if she called, the device would reveal itself, so he further kept quiet.

"Okay, Mama." He smiled, squeezed her hand, and pulled away from the table and gathered their breakfast dishes. "I'm going up to my room, okay?"

She nodded once more, "I must pack and then I'll leave around noon, maybe one. I will make sure to say goodbye."

Lance waved his hand, nodding and smiling, setting everything in the sink before he dashed up the stairs to his bedroom.

This was big news.
He would be home alone ALL weekend.

With the house all to himself, he could have the best Halloween ever. Lance found the idea of just inviting three or four of his closest friends over would do the trick better than a whole school.

He wasn't popular anyway.

The boy sauntered over to his desk, snatched his laptop, and then plopped down on his bed with a grin.

Group: Voltron
~~~

LL: hey guys >;)))
PP: oh boy what is it this time, Lance?
LL: shut up Pidge I have great--
LL: no, fantastic---
LL: ---perfect news!
KK: hey guys what's Lance going on about this time
SD: Keith be nice. Good morning everyone!
HG: Lance!
LL: okay guys so guess what
KK: ...
SD: What is it, Lance?
PP: :/

The boy was overjoyed with excitement to overlay this new news, and was glad about their similar 'enthusiasm'.

LL: mom is leaving for the weekend

Lance started to go on about all the possibilities that came with her departure.

Home to himself, gorge on the food while she was gone. Scary movies, and more. All the Halloween activities that they would be sure to do over the top.

And besides, it was his last Halloween as a child right? Before taxes and college take all the fun away, he's going out with a bang.

Lance already had a plan. A great one.

LL: what do you guys think about haunted houses? ;))))