Drown.

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---

Shiro watched Lance as the boy trained, monitoring his angles and positioning, ready to help the boy in case he messed up or became overwhelmed. They were doing one on one training, for Lance claimed group training made him feel pressured.

The man believed him, because watching the former blue paladin now he was doing so much better than he had when the group had trained earlier in the day. It was a huge change.

As the black paladin watched the Cuban boy, he couldn’t help but notice a few key things. Not just in the current training, but also from their previous sessions.

Lance moved sharply with determination, each turn on his heel and pull of his trigger he did it like it was the last time he would ever get to. Like he was trying too hard, trying to prove something.

“It’s just training, it doesn’t have to be perfect. The only time it needs to be perfect is when we are in battle, take it easy, Lance.” Shiro would tell him this countless times, Lance would stutter and agree, but they always ended up in the same place.

Shiro tilted his head as he admired the paladin’s technique, but then he noticed the sweat that dripped off of him and the red flush of his cheeks from over exertion. “Lance.”

The boy turned, dropping to a knee and shooting dead at a bot hovered over Shiro’s head.

He had to admit, Shiro flinched at that.  “Lance.” Shiro moved to make eye contact, and the boy blinked owlishly. “Huh…?”

“End training sequence!” Shiro shouted.

Lance plopped down onto his butt, Bayard laying at his side and he panted. “What is it?”

The white tipped man sat down next to Lance, legs crossed like a child. “That was a good session.” He smiled slightly, patting Lances knee. He noticed the caramel skinned boys chest swell and he sat up a little straighter, eyes widening a bit.

“R-Really? You think so? I-I thought maybe…”

Shiro sighed, “Really. You did well.”

Lance looked down, a ghost of a smile on his lips and his eyes glimmered. “You just, I wanted—“

He shook his head, trying to get his thoughts together. In the end, he hugged his knees, and yes, maybe he giggled. “Really?”

Shiro blinked, then chuckled and smiled. He nudged Lance away gently to off put the boys balance. “Really, really. I’m proud, you are a lot better than I thought.”

This changed Lances demeanor, as his face was turned, Shiro picked up on a switch. His eyes drooped, the smile vanishing. “Oh, haha. Great.”

Had Shiro said something wrong? He didn’t understand. What was the matter with Lance?

“Look, I’m sorry about yelling at you a few days ago. I was under some pressure; it wasn’t anything I meant. I… Yeah.” Shiro moved slightly so Lance would look at him.

It wasn’t working. The former blue paladins spark was snuffed out, and Shiro felt horrible.

“It’s okay, I understand. I’m gonna…” He got to his feet, trailing off slightly. “I need to wash up, I’m hot and sweaty and gross. Totally not good to leave my pores in such a condition.”

Shiro wanted to object, but he was scared what would happen to Lances pores if he didn’t go.

The horror.

“Okay… I’ll come by later, just to check up on you.” Shiro watched him go, and felt something in his gut twist but he left it at that. What else should he have done? He’s not good at this.