Cue Panic.

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---

Lance couldn't help the fact he was sick.

But he also didn't have to let the fact that he was sick get his day off to a bad start.

Who said it was a mandatory thing to be in a bad mood when you came down with the big bad sickness?

Lazing around, snack foods, people are more willing to do things for him, yummy foods?

That sounded pretty good, even if you had some aches and sniffles.

That's all Lance had ever come done with.

Colds, fevers, everything normal people came down with.

They were common so Lance didn't treat them like the end of the world.

"You okay there, buddy?" Hunk asked at breakfast that morning when he noticed the blue pals in sitting next to him didn't look very interested in his space goo.

Lance looked up, smiling, "Just under the weather. I think that rainy planet we were on yesterday gave me a cold."

Shiro pointed his spoon accusingly at Lance, "What did I tell you?"

Lance sighed, setting down his fork and rolled his eyes. " 'Don't run in the rain, son, you'll catch yourself a cold!' Yes, Dad, I know."

Shiro gave a disapproving eyebrow raise, but his cheeks were slightly tinted at the imitation.

"Are we training today?" Pidge spoke up from her computer, pushing up her glasses.

Keith looked up from his breakfast, interested now and paid attention to the conversation.

"Yes." Allura said, entering the room and all eyes went to her. "I've arranged you all into pairs. You will take the skills you learned from last weeks training and using them to fight each other."

Hunk tilted his head, "Fight?"

Shiro filled him in, "Yes, but there are restrictions. No drawing blood, and no blades. And don't aim for the head."

Hunk nodded, and Keith looked disappointed.

Lance coughed slightly into his shirt before he spoke up, "Who are the partners?"

It turns out the partners were new this time, and the Paladins and the Alteans stood in a circle.

"You will be partnered with the person standing opposite you. So you won't be facing friends." Coran said, "But since we're all friends here, you'll be facing someone you're least likely to train with."

Lance and Keith's jaws dropped.

"You're going down, mullet!" Lance said, but found his voice was a little hoarse and he coughed.

"Yeah right, you've got the plague. It'll be like pushing an old lady down."

Hunk suddenly looked worried, "You haven't done that, right, Keith?"

Keith opened his mouth, "Of---"

"Hunk and Shiro! You're first." Allura announced, and everyone stepped back to watch the two.

As Lance sat, watching Hunk and Shiro strife it out, his head started to feel stuffy and body warmer.

When Pidge went up to face Keith, he had his head in his arms resting on his knees.

Wow, what a crash.

Lance had dozed off wen he felt someone shake his shoulder, and with a light cough Lance lifted his head. "Hn...?"

Pidge stood, looking a little worried. "You don't look so good."

Hunk, who was coming back from getting a drink, looked at Lance and nodded. "She's right, I'm sure Allura and Shiro would---"

Lance raised a hand and stood up slowly. "I'm good, I got this. Keith is gonna get his ass kicked."

As the blue paladin stumbled to the center of the room everyone looked uncertain but didn't protest.

Lance said he was okay, they weren't going to question him and let him do his thing.

Keith smirked as his rival approached, "You ready, McClain?"

The red paladin was confused as Lance just smirked weakly in response to his comment.

The fight didn't go down quite as expected, in the sense that all Lance did was side step the other boy.

Shiro was watching closely, worried.

Keith finally got frustrated enough, tripping Lance just as a simple defeat. He grinned when Lance went down.

"Got ya McClain."

The others started to clap, like they did with all the other plays. Then critique would come.

Except, you can't critique someone who doesn't respond to you.

Lance was still on the ground.

Keith turned around slowly, and Shiro was rushing to Lance and to his side.

Lance still wasn't moving.