31DoHF: Chapter Twelve

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---
Lance ran across the living room on his little legs, dressed in blue shorts and a white t-shirt.

A bright smile lit his face as he looked around for a place to hide from his older sister, the rest of his sibling scattering.

Hide and Go Seek was a Saturday game, something they always did before breakfast as they waited for their mother woke up and their father returned from work.

It was a moment of bonding for siblings and a happy feeling each time they were reunited.

As for Lance, coming in at seven years old and the youngest in the house, he was determined to be the best hider there was.

With his sniper like eyesight, he was easily the best seeker in the family. Now he just needed the other title to be the hide and go seek McClain House champion.

The only problem with gaining that title, was that although he was the smallest, there were very few places to hide in the house so the bigger siblings, who were faster, always go to them first.

Lance checked everywhere to hide.

Maya was in the storage closet with Zacaria. David was underneath the table.

Dani and Louisa were hiding in the washer and dryer, and Adan was in the kitchen cabinet.

The rules of the game today was that they had to stay downstairs, since Mama slept upstairs and they were not to disturb her.

With nowhere to hide, and his older sister, Marcela, counting down and getting closer to seeking, Lance panicked.

Where was he to go?

He found a door, and recognizing it as the door that led to the basement he quickly opened it and stood at the top step, closing the door.

This could work, as long as he didn't go down the steps he was still on the first floor of the house!

He felt clever, grinning ear to ear.

Lance stood there as he heard the countdown hit zero, and then was followed by "Ready or not, here I come!"

The boy fought giggles, hearing footsteps pass his door multiple times and then the sound of more of his siblings looking as they were found.

He stop there for moments longer, until someone started suggesting parts of the house closer to his door, right outside.

Afraid to be caught, Lance broke a rule by creeping down the steps and hiding amongst some boxes.

They'd never find him now!

It was fun at first, waiting there, but as his eyes peered around the basement he started to feel scared.

It was dark. There were spider webs and cobwebs, probably bugs and mice too.

Lance frowned, trying to puff out a brave chest but his young mind raced with fearful thoughts on what could be out there.

His eyes glance upward to a dull and dying lightbulb that flickered, and the chain that hung from it, swinging.

Lance frowned.

How was it swinging?

To the left of him, he hear the sound of what sounded like something being dragged across the floor.

A box?

What could it be? No one else was down here. He was sure of it.

Scared, Lance glanced back to the stairs, and then immediately froze in his spot. He swore hi heart stopped, eyes widening.

"Adan?"

In front of him stood the silhouette of a masculine figure, black with glowing around it. It seemed nearly translucent, but it couldn't be.

Right?

Standing, Lance rubbed his eyes, "Okay, you caught me. New ga---" He paused as he opened his eyes.

The figure was gone.
---
Lance remembered his dash up the stairs, catching his ankle on a step and the hospital boost that followed after.

He had forgotten all about that figure, and the moments previous. For years he would blame it all on mice, or siblings.

Until now.