31DoHF: Chapter Four

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---
Hunk had shown up to pick up Pidge, and after that the call got awkward and the others hung up as well.

"See you soon."

Lance closed his computer, frowning, and lay back on his bed. This was all very weird. Strange was another word for it.

He tried to think of any possibility of who those messages could have been from, but whenever he had the faintest idea it was snatched away by logic.

The boy sat up, glancing around his messy room. They had mice in the house on occasion, from dirty floors and mysterious messes from years of kids.

Was there any chance one of them had gotten a hold of his phone and was running all over the screen?

That was stupid, but it soothes him for now so he went with it. Maybe it wasn't that important anyway.

No one was in his house except him and soon it would be his friends too.

Lance got up out of bed, putting on a pair of jeans and a new hoodie instead of the one he had slept in.

Better.

Tomorrow was Halloween and they had much to plan for, so Lance went downstairs to start finding snacks and such to eat while they brainstormed.

Pizza rolls, Sabritones, and candy corn.

Candy corn was nasty, but he knew some of the others liked it so he added it to the coffee table in front of the couch. They could drink juice boxes.

Shiro showed up first, carrying some bags and he smiled, "Hey, Lance."

The boy beamed, "You brought candy!"

The older man chuckled and nodded, "Keith got mad and claimed he was going to poisons our candy so I brought some leftovers from my house."

Allura was a big fan of Halloween, especially giving candy to trick or treaters, so there was always an excessive amount. Lance liked that about her.

"Hunk will be happy about this." Lance stated, even though he had already taken the bag and started looting around through it. He found a lollipop, and stuck it in his mouth with a hum.

Shiro made a face, "Lance, you haven't even had dinner yet." Oh great his Dad instincts were kicking in.

Lance made the face right back at him, "Shiro, it's not even four o'clock yet."

The college man rolled his eyes and smiled, "Alright then."

Following Shiro came Hunk and Pidge a few minute later, and lastly, Keith. Lance hopped on that one real quick.

"Why are you last? You literally live a few blocks away." Lance crossed his arms and smirked, accusing silently.

Keith glared at him, "Your stupid street dog chased me a few more blocks than I intended, AND it took my candy."

Lance gasped, "Yankee? No, he is a sweet stray and you're just jealous that I love him, and hate you."

The boy with the Mullet threw his thumb over his shoulder towards the door, "I can leave."

"Run to your---"

"Lance!" Shiro cut in, sliding between the two who were nearly forehead to forehead now. "Be nice, or at least civil. We've got work to do and you can't bicker the whole time."

"Watch me."

The argument ended there though, as Hunk explained he had all their tools and wires and more that they would need out in his car.

Following that statement, the gang filed outside to begin their project. The goal had changed sometime earlier that day, from scaring every kid that dare cross the houses path, to seeing how much candy they could have left by the end of the night.

Shiro also had the adult idea of putting a sign in front of the house that told adults who could read that all of the sounds and window and door opening were not real, and run by mechanics.

Way to take the fun out a little, but it made sense so that they wouldn't get in trouble or be reported.

"So Keith, scream as loud as you want." Lance smirked, glancing at his friend/rival and everyone groaned.

"That's disgusting!" Pidge exclaimed.

It was a wonder how anything was gotten done as the hours progressed in the crispy October scenery.

Shiro was probably best at keeping them on track, until they'd discovered a leaf pile and devoted themselves to destroying it.

It was fun. The sounds were working, windows we're opening by themselves, and floorboards were creaking.

This was going to be the best Halloween ever. Lance made sure of it.

"Ewww! Lance, these leaves were dirty." Hunk complained, although he was grinning and had leaves stuck all over him.

The rest of the gang was in a similar state.
Leaves crunched into clothing, sticks and leaves in their hair. They all laughed at each other, until something stopped them.

"Guys, I'm bleeding."

Eyes shifted to Keith, who was crouched in the leaf pile, holding his arm. "I think I got scratched by some sticks."

No one had planned on anyone getting hurt, and as they swarmed around their friend they saw he had three even scratches going vertical down his forearm.

It looked too perfect to be a scratch from sticks, and that seemed to be on everyone's mind.

"Let me---"

In a mere instant, everyone's hearts leapt in their throats. Breath hitches and bodies jumped.

Wide eyes turned with bodies to look, and shaking forms of sudden alarm trembled in their cool autumn weather.

Behind them, all of the windows had slammed shut simultaneously, echoing through it the yard.

What spooked them most, since they hadn't set the door up to do so and there was no breeze...

...was that it slammed too.