Words Can Hurt You.

IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---
Lance was talkative, shocker right?

Yeah, no.

But Lance never really expected that it would be his very own voice that would bring him to his downfall.

They had just made it into the Galra ship, Pidge and Keith looking for prisoners. Hunk, Shiro, and Lance off rodents the duo.

Lance was talking.
Again.

"Do you think Galra like grapes? Are they purple because they ate a lot of grapes?"

He didn't even know what he was talking about, just spitting words.

Talking was an escape for the blue paladin. Had been his entire life.

It showed up verbally, in letters, texts, all of it. If he was constantly speaking or rambling or spamming, there was something wrong.

It was a distraction.

Sometimes he'd start saying not so great things, most about himself, etc.

Lance couldn't exactly control it, and even as he would do it he'd notice how annoying it was.

But Lance. Couldn't. Help. It.

"---maybe they are all painte purple at birth and are actually not purple. Is that why Keith isn't purple? Maybe---"

"Lance!" Shiro hissed, glaring hard at his teammate, scolding him.

Lance blinked, clamping his mouth shut and gripped his bayard a little tighter.

Shut up, Lance.

He swallowed hard, walking after his friends with the back of his mind itching with words to say.

They made it to a tall door, and behind it the trio could hear Keith yelling.

"---not one of you!"

Then there was Pidge.

"---my brother?!"

Glances were exchanged, then with Hunk in the lead they charged through. They all filed in with weapons and hands at the ready.

"Let them go!" Shiro barked, eyes dark and ready to fight. Keith and Pidge were being held by guards.

Lance looked around, seeing no eyes on him so he quickly took the chance to slink and hide against a crook in the wall.

Almost seconds after, heavy guards grabbed onto Hunk and Shiro.

Everything was going wrong.
So, so wrong.

Lance watched it all go down.

The speeches, the comments, and then eventually the fight that ensued as Keith escaped.

Shots were fired and blades clashed on every side of Lance. All he had to do was take down Haggar.

He didn't know what he was doing.
The team didn't know what he was doing.

Did Lance mention he had no idea what the absolute quiznak he was doing?!

Suddenly he was out of his corner, revealed, his target sighted on Haggar.

Lance would not miss.

Through squinted eyes, though, Lance didn't pay attention to the purple dark magic shoot from her fingers and hit the team.

There were so many beams of light everywhere it was hard to tell what was what.

There were shouts, then Haggar screamed. Lance didn't pay attention after that.

Someone grabbed his arm and enforce he knew it the lions were in formation and taking off back towards the castle.

Wait, what?!

A wave of dizziness was he over Lance and he must have been periodically blacking  out.

"Lance?"

He opened his eyes and saw Shiro standing above him. They were in the main room of the castle.

The blue paladin sat up, rubbing his head.
"Hmm? We did it?"

Shiro smiled in relief, but his words didn't match his expression. "Of course, the first thing the guy does is talk."

Lance blinked, then turned and looked to Keith. "I--- So what happened? Did we defeat Haggar?"

Shiro looked confused, like something he had just said had been ignored. He didn't say anything else though.

"What do you mean 'we'? You didn't contribute at all." Hunk said.

Pidge snorted, "Yeah, sat there like a lame duck." She smiled.

Nothing they were saying to Lance matches the way they looks at him.

Lance felt his eyes sting, looking down.

"I...I shot Haggar though..."

Shiro walked over, patting Lances back and helped him up with a grin. A twinge of worry in the mans eyes.

"Yes, you worthless piece of shit."

Lance shrugged away from Shiro, glaring at all of them and ran off to his room. They all looked so confused.

It would continue like that for the following days to come. And Lance would only grow quieter with each nasty comment.

He figured he deserves the first night of it.

By the following day he assumed they were just sugar coating it.

Lance confronted them about it on the third day but only was answered back with more and more, worse, comments.

No one spoke to him on the sixth day.

By the second week, Lance had not been talking for about 9 days.

Everyone started to get angry with him, brushed him off, or completely acted like he wasn't there.

Only the lions noticed.

Blue sent as many good vibes and comforting consolation as she could.

Lance was thankful for her.

The other lions would try and get the Paladins to hear what they were sayin to Lance, but their Paladins had no clue.

It was all Hagars magic, her last trick.

Everything the team said to the blue paladin reflected his insecurities until it drove him to silence.

Their happy paladin was gone.

Lance didn't return from the next mission.