Chapter 16

Bayne's POV

I had just finished one of my many runs when Jeremy told me to pack my bags. We were going to Twin Moon pack to help them with a hunter/rogue problem. I was also told that the elites and Aaron would be joining us, and I would be responsible for training both Jeremy's elite and the Twin Moon packs warriors. This is just great, note the sarcasm. I would be doing a lot of running, and hopefully I can take everything out on hunters and rogues. I don't know why Jeremy insists on making me the trainer, I am in no way, shape, or form the teaching type, and now I have two packs worth of warriors who think they know everything to deal with.

"Bayne?" Aaron called through the suite we shared

"What?" I asked, I looked up for a minute and he was leaning against the door frame.

"Have you ever thought about your mate?" my head snapped from what I was doing back to him.

"What?" I frowned at him. He had never asked me about mates, "Why the sudden interest?"

"I don't know... just curious." I raised one of my eyebrows telling him that I didn't buy his lie. "Jeremy was asking me things about you a few months ago; I told him that if he wanted to know he would have to ask you for himself. Then he asked if you had found your mate. I told him I didn't know." He shrugged. I wasn't mad that Jeremy was asking about me, I figured he would. And I wasn't mad at Aaron for answering him truthfully, but the idea of having a mate made me uneasy.

"I don't have one." I told him

"You mean you haven't met him yet?" he clarified.

"No, I mean, the mood goddess wouldn't give one to me. He would just end up getting hurt. I don't deserve a mate." I told him, and it didn't matter. I didn't want a mate to have to deal with all my baggage. He would have to deal with an unemotional, short tempered, desensitized girl who would much rather beat the shit out of someone than talk. I was not mate material, and I was okay with that. "Doesn't matter anyway."

"Sure it does, everyone deserves a mate. They keep you sane; they bring out the best in you."

"Don't get all sappy on me now. We still need to kill Sercko and his men." I told him. If he found his mate in Jeremy's pack he would be doing her a favor by not marking her yet. Sercko knows how to get to his enemies. And he will take any mated wolf and use their mates against them. "Did you find your mate here?" I asked him.

"No, just wondering about you." He said, then turned around and walked out the door.

~

After everyone said their goodbyes we finally shifted and started moving south towards Twin Moon pack. Running in a pack was completely different than running with just Aaron, or alone. I had to remember that the others couldn't go as fast as I was used to going, and a few times through the run I would get too far ahead of the pack, luckily Aaron would catch up to me and bring me back.

As we neared the Twin Moon pack territory I became anxious and jumpy. I couldn't understand it, but passed it off as not getting enough out of our run. I quickly pulled Jeremy to the side and shifted behind a tree.

"I'll meet you at the pack house; I need to run a bit more." I told him. He barked in response and nodded in approval. I shifted back into my wolf and took off to the right as the pack kept going straight. Something just didn't feel right, my thoughts were scrambled and my heart was beating faster than normal.

After twenty minutes of running through the unfamiliar territory my nose started picking up the strong scent of rogue wolves and silver. Slowing my pace I searched the area around me, looking for anything that was out of place, or anything that could present a problem. I put my nose to the ground trying to find a scent to follow, but before I could follow the scent my attention was diverted by the sound of a twig snapping. I spun around growling as five wolves emerged from the bushes.

I could smell they were all rogues, and I hadn't fought anyone recently. This was going to be fun. One of the rogues lunged at me, going for my throat, I ducked and bit at his back leg and throwing him into a tree after I heard his leg snap. Another wolf came at me and tried pinning me down. He managed to bite my front left paw just enough to draw a little blood, but after that all I saw was red. I ripped into the wolf's throat, taking his head off. Another wolf ran at me only to be caught in my jaw as he struggled to get free. I clamped my jaw closed around his airways and waited until he stopped moving to let him go. There were only two left, and they had learned from the others.

A frontal attack wouldn't work with me, I was stronger than they were, and they knew that. They both started circling me, waiting for the right time to take me down. I'm not sure what set them off, but both came at me at the same time and they were careless. They were fighting as if they knew that weather they killed me or not they would die. The first one reached me and almost exposed his neck to me. Quickly snapping it I threw him on top of the other one. The last wolf looked at me in horror as he threw his partner off himself. As he lunged at me he looked me in the eye, I could have sworn I saw tears rim his eyes, but my wolf was completely out and just a few moments earlier he was trying to kill me. There was no saving this man, he would die today. As his blood oozed into my mouth from the puncture wounds from my teeth I heard other wolves approaching. These wolves however didn't smell like rogues.

As they came closer I caught Aarons scent first, then Jeremy's, but then I picked up two that I had never smelt before. The first smelt like pine and mint, and the second was pine and sweet lemons. They were both amazing, so intoxicating; I just wanted to curl up next to whatever produced the smell. Wait, what? I never had thoughts like that, what's wrong with me?

I didn't have time to answer my own question because out of the corner of my eye I saw Aaron and Jeremy, along with two men I didn't know came bursting through the bushes. One of the men I didn't recognize took a step forward and looked around while the other was starting at me.

"What the hell happened?" a deep voice asked as it sent shivers down my spine, but I didn't dare show that his voice affected me. I just turned to look at him. As my eyes meet his hazel ones I knew I was in trouble. Standing next to the man who spoke was a man who looked exactly like him, only shorter hair. Their high cheek bones matched perfectly, their bodies seemed to be sculpted by the moon goddess herself, not a hair out of place even though they looked like they just rolled out of bed. I intended to quickly take in their appearance, but as I looked at them I lost myself in their gaze.

"Mate." They both said, that one word snapped me out of my daze with a growl. I had two mates? Why? I quickly went behind a tree and shifted, dressed myself in a white singlet top and a pair of jeans that had holes in the knees. Coming out from behind the tree I looked at my 'mates' for the first time as a human. This was not going to work; I didn't deserve a mate, much less two. And rejecting them was out of the question; they were alphas, they'd never give up. And with Sercko still out there, once he finds out I have a mate, two mates, I'm done. He'll use them against me for sure.

"Shit." Was all I said.