Chapter 29

Bayne's POV

I woke up this morning to someone knocking at the door and the smell of... pancakes? I sniffed the air again to catch the scent of whoever was on the other side of the door, but I didn't recognize the scent of cinnamon and apples. Whoever it was knocked again and got Aiden to stir. He groaned but didn't get up to answer the door.

"Aiden," he hummed quietly and tightened his grip, "Aiden, get up and answer the door."

"They'll go away sooner or later." He muttered. Okay, so Aiden is not a morning person.

"I'll get it." Josh huffed with his eyes still closed. He got up, straightened his cloths out, ran his fingers through his hair, and walked towards the door, opening it just enough for him to look out the door. I watched as his back became stiff and shoulders tense. That's when I slapped Aiden upside the head. He grunted.

"What was that for?" I frowned at him and pointed to the door. Morning person or not, everyone needs to be able to protect themselves and the ones closest to them, and right now Aiden was just sawing logs. "Shit." He said under his breath. He unwrapped himself from me and went to stand behind Josh.

"Hey mom, dad." Mom? Dad? Oh hell no. "What are you doing here?" Aiden asked

"We brought breakfast for the three of you." A woman's voice said.

"Mom, I told you, not until she's ready." Josh said

"Oh please... I promise it will only be for a few seconds. When was the last time she ate anything?" Josh looked at Aiden then turned to me, I just shrugged my shoulders. "Exactly, now I am not going to let her starve in there. Not when I have a large stack of pancakes in my hands."

"We'll give them to her. Thank you." Aiden said as he put his hands out for the stack of flapjacks.

"Boys, let us in." a man's voice came through the room, it held power, but not as much as Josh and Aiden's. Aiden looked back at me then to Josh. Josh lowered his head and came back to my side taking my left hand.

"It's our parents," he started.

"So I gather." I told him flatly with a raised eyebrow.

"Mom wants to meet you, and dad wants to make sure... you're..." he couldn't finish, his dad must really intimidate him.

"Do they know who I am?" he shook his head no. "So they don't know my background?" another shake of his head. I closed my eyes and brought my other hand up and pinched the bridge of my nose.

"We were hoping we could tell them when you were walking again, but mom has her ways of getting exactly what she wants, when she wants. She came in for a little bit when you were sleeping, but freaked a little when you had a nightmare, she just wants to check up on you; make sure you're stable and unharmed."

"I take it there is no way of getting out of this?" my attention went back to Aiden at the door; he seemed to be arguing with their parents about coming into the room.

"No mom, she's not ready for visitors." Aiden said a little louder than needed.

"Do not speak to your mother like that!" his father said sternly.

"She's well enough to eat a little something, and have a nice conversation with someone other than her mates and doctor." I almost laughed; nice conversation? Not likely. A nice conversation with Zackary? Not while I was in this bed.