Chapter 33

Bayne's POV

Ugh! Why does he have to be so overbearing? They both are, they just can't leave it alone sometimes. And what's worse is I couldn't be as mad as I felt, Josh's emotions mixed with mine and dulled out most of my anger with his sadness. The emotion was so strong that it felt like my own. I didn't realize it hurt so much to have your mate act so cold and heartless towards you. But then again he knew that I was cold when he first met me so why was he surprised. I couldn't get over how angry I was, but it wasn't all towards them. Most of the anger I felt was focused on me, I was mad at myself for not being able to heal as quickly. I needed a run, a long one, just to clear my head and get things back on track. I needed to find a way to beat this. I never had this kind of blood lust when I was in with the hunters. It only started after Aaron and I started killing them.

I didn't know what to do, I was stuck in the living room with no way to get back upstairs, and with everyone being super careful around me it was very unlikely that I would see anyone pass me so I could get their attention. So I made myself comfortable and waited for my body to recharge, so to speak. While I was stuck down here I started thinking, at first it was about nonsensical things like what it felt like to run wild feeling the wind in my fur and the days I spent in the corner of my cell waiting, just like this, for someone to unlock the door. But it soon turned into more serious thoughts, things like battle strategy and fighting tactics. Things that packs should know when fighting hunters and rogues. Then my thoughts turned more personal.

This new life was more complicated than the life I had when I was taking orders from a crazy, hell bent, vampire set on revenge. I didn't know what to do half the time, at least with the hunters I knew what was expected of me and I could follow orders. This was uncharted territory for me, I can't remember the last time I had free time on my hands. I didn't know what to do about the things the twins said to me and I don't know how mates are supposed to act when they are around each other. How do people live like this? All the freedom in the world and no one telling you what to do. Now, don't get me wrong, I hated taking orders from Sercko, but I always knew what he wanted from me, I was essentially a drone at his disposal, a killing machine. But here, with Aiden and Josh, they wanted me to be myself. I don't know who I am without my past. I don't know how to act around people who smile and have fun. And when I do act like myself, the cold hard fighter, everyone gets upset or worried that something's wrong. How am I supposed to act like myself when I bring out the worst in people? Just today I made the more level headed of my two mates totally flip out on me and walk off without so much as a goodbye. I made him mad and he didn't deserve it.

~

I hadn't realized how much time had passed until I heard my stomach let out a growl. I looked at the clock above the front door. It was just about lunchtime. My mood went sour when I remembered that I had been eating lunch with both Aiden... and Josh. I hadn't seen Aiden since he left the bedroom this morning, and Josh hasn't come back since he stormed off after breakfast. I don't know what Josh told Aiden, if he said anything at all, so I didn't know if Aiden would be joining me for lunch. I didn't think Josh would be up for it after feeling how hurt he was as he left. I could still feel the pain he was in, it was like a dull ache in my chest that was just present enough to be uncomfortable but not painful. I moved myself to the edge of the couch and was about to stand up when I heard a familiar voice from behind me.

"Sit that beautiful ass back down and don't even think about getting up." Aiden was standing in the doorway to the kitchen with a smirk on his face. He only moved towards me when I relaxed back in my chair. He walked over to me and sat down, practically on top of me. "So, what's for lunch?" he asked me.

"How should I know? I've been stuck here since after breakfast." I crossed my arms and gave a light glare in his direction.

"Well, I figured that nose would be able to pick something up. But I guess I'll just have to ask." He gave me another smile and tapped my nose before turning back to the kitchen doorway. "Yo Josh, what's for lunch." My ears perked up, I was sure Josh would have been too angry with me to share a meal with me. Apparently I was wrong. I looked over at Aiden but he was still looking towards the kitchen.