Chapter 34

Unknown POV

I had been avoiding this moment for almost a year. I don't know how they'll react to me being here, so I've been hiding, sort of. It's pretty easy to hide when the whole pack is distracted by the Alpha mate being out of commission. I wasn't planning on showing myself yet, but something told me that it was time.

Sneaking past border patrol was not as easy as it was a few weeks ago, in fact it was fairly difficult. Whatever Bayne and Aaron were teaching them was working. As I got closer to the pack house I hid my scent and made myself look tired and weak, I tried to look like a human that got lost in the woods. I noticed more and more people were giving me questionable looks and they tried to be subtle when they sniffed to catch my scent. After not catching a scent some of them frowned, but most just went about their business. I was a human in their eyes, not a threat. Foolish really, Bayne would have their heads for that, but I guess their idiocy was the only thing keeping me alive.

When I reached the front door I took a calming breath and knocked. It took a few seconds, but eventually an older looking woman answered the door. When she saw me she quickly and discreetly sniffed.

"Hello dear, can I help you?" she put on a sweet smile.

"I need to speak to your Alphas." I told her. Her eyes widened and she sniffed again. When she still didn't catch anything she looked into my eyes and tried to make sense of it all.

"Alpha's Josh and Aiden are currently unavailable, but I can take you to see the Alpha Female. She'll want to meet you." The woman stepped aside so I could enter and tried to hide something behind the smile she wore.

"I really would like to talk to Alpha's Josh and Aiden first." I thought I was ready to see Bayne again, but when she opened the door, I froze.

"Nonsense, you should meet the Alpha Female first. You won't get to talk to the Alphas unless you meet with their mate and she approves." The woman practically pulled me into the house and slammed the door behind me. She then pushed me down the hall and stopped in front. I could smell Bayne through the door, her scent seeped into my soul and made me feel like a little girl about to get in trouble with their mother. I couldn't believe it, I had been gone for about a year and a half, and I still felt like a child around Bayne. The woman opened the door and walked in ahead of me. I could feel my hands shaking and the fear of disappointing Bayne overcame me. My knees nearly gave out and my breath got caught in my throat.

"Alpha Bayne, there's someone here who would like to speak with you." The woman said with her head slightly bowed. Bayne was sitting on the couch looking over a stack of papers.

"Thank you Susan." Bayne didn't even look up as she spoke to the woman, but Susan didn't take any notice to it. She just gave a quick nod and walked out. I didn't know what to do, Bayne hadn't looked up yet and I didn't know what to say to her. What do you say to someone who thought you were dead and haven't seen in a year and a half?

"So, what did you do?" She still hadn't looked up.

"I don't understand..." my voice was shaky and I didn't sound like me.

"No one comes to see me unless they've done something. Although it's strange that you choose to hide your scent at this point." I had forgotten that I was masking my scent until she said something. "So, what do you have to say?"

"I just came to say... Hi." I mumbled a little. I truly didn't know what to say and Bayne hasn't looked at me yet.

"Hi... that's all you have to say?" she slowly lifted her head to look at me, finally. When our eyes met I was surprised that she didn't immediately say something. Nothing about her features changed, she just stared at me for what felt like forever.