Chapter 22

Aaron's POV

The men and women that finished the run in the first group were in the middle of their mock fights as I was walking around watching as much as I could.

"Watch that leg, make sure you don't lock your knees or your opponent can take you out in one swipe." I said as I swept my leg underneath him knocking him on his butt. "See, all too easy."

"Damn." He said under his breath. I chuckled under my breath, Bayne would have been so much harder on him; she wouldn't have warned him before kicking his leg out from under him. I made my way back around to the front and watched as the twins fought each other. As I watched them I heard as the rest of the pack came out from the forest.

"Ah, finally decide to join us?" I asked sarcastically. "Grab a partner and start your mock fights." They all looked at each other then looked behind them. "What's wrong?"

"Bayne isn't behind us..." one of Jeremy's men said.

"Is she supposed to be?" I asked the twins stopped fighting when the man said Bayne's name.

"She told us to run after pulling something out of the back of her neck..." a woman said.

"Pulled something out of the back of her neck?" I clarified. They all nodded. "I'm sure she's fine, probably just running a little more. She'll be back soon." As soon as I said that I caught the scent of roses... and cut grass? And then someone screamed.

"What was that?" the twins asked panicked.

"I have no idea." I said as I ran towards the forest. I ran until the scent of roses was canceled out by the smell of a hunter's dead body. When I looked around the forest floor I saw a hunter's dead body and a woman lying against a tree.

"Bayne!" The twins yelled as they ran over to her.

"How's it look?" I asked them

"She's got a pulse, but it's faint. She needs a doctor." Aiden said as he carefully lifted Bayne up bridal style. I made the mistake of looking at her, I had never seen her so vulnerable; her body was limp and her head had been set on Aiden's shoulder. I thought she was invincible, that nothing could hurt her, but I guess every super hero has their weaknesses.

"Aaron?" Jeremy called my attention back to the dead hunter, "What do you make of it?"

"Someone else killed him. There's another scent that I can't quite place, and Bayne wouldn't have screamed. Someone was here and helped... we just need to figure out who it was." I told him. "But right now we have to get Bayne to a doctor, find out what's wrong with her." Josh and Aiden nodded and took off like a bullet.