Chapter 38

Aiden's POV

I was heading home after 1:00 and couldn't wait to see Bayne again. When I had woken up she was still sound asleep between Josh and I. I had gotten a phone call from Daniel relaying a message from Mark, alpha of Mountain Stream, and requesting both Josh and my presence. I had told Daniel that I would be down in a minute when Josh woke up and looked on with worry. He offered to go in my place but I just shook my head, knowing that Josh would get up soon and make Bayne a breakfast in bed and give her my apologies for not being there when she woke. Now I was kicking myself for not taking him up on the offer.

I couldn't believe I was called away from my mate because of something as trivial as land disputes. I was so angry with Mark I nearly ripped his head off when he told me he wanted to expand further into our land. I told him it was something I would have to discuss with my brother and mate, emphasizing the fact that I had just mated, and would get back to him. He told me it was something serious, and his reasoning was that seven couples were all expecting at the same time. I could have murdered him for pulling me away from Bayne the morning after we had mated. I wanted to be with her when she woke up, curled around her waist as she combed her fingers through my hair absentmindedly. She seemed to do that often, and without realizing how good it felt.

Mountain Stream shared a border with us, and when one of our packs grew too large for the territory Mark, Josh and I would talk to each other before going to other neighboring packs for expansion. Lately though I've been having a strange feeling about Mark. Something about him just doesn't sit right with me anymore... I would have to talk to Josh about him.

I walked through the kitchen door and saw my beautiful mate sitting at the table with Josh next to her on one side and an empty seat on the other. I smiled to myself and quietly walked up behind Bayne. My plan was to sneak up behind her and wrap my arms around her before she knew I was there. I watched Aaron look up at me and smile, but I quickly put my finger up to my lips, telling him to keep quiet. My smile grew wider when he looked back down at Bayne and didn't say anything.

"I know you're there Aiden." Her voice was flat and almost board. I had gotten a foot from her before she said anything. With a growl I took her in my arms anyway and kissed her on the cheek.

"How'd you know I was behind you?" I asked while sitting down in the empty chair next to her.

"Same way I know you had bacon, egg and sausage this morning for breakfast, and that you had your coffee black before running off to the..." she sniffed, "North." She smirked and turned back to her almost empty lunch plate. I couldn't believe she could smell that much. I frowned and sniffed the air around me, trying to catch the scent of my breakfast still lingering on my breath.

"How do you know what I had for breakfast?" I asked dumbfounded. "And how do you know I had my coffee black?" she just gave me a small smile and shook her head. I just chuckled, she never ceased to amaze me.

"So... how'd it go? Who wanted what?" Josh asked, but I could tell he was only half interested.

"Mountain Stream wants more land. Mark says that their numbers are growing faster than they ever have." I relayed the message back to Josh

"And what did you say?" Josh was a little put off about them asking for more land I could tell that much.

"I told them I would discuss it with the two of you." Bayne stopped eating and started coughing up a storm, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with her.

"Bayne, you okay?" Josh asked once Bayne had calmed down.

"Since when do you include me in pack affairs?" she asked looking at me with her eyes wide.

"Since we mated and became a trio... I didn't think it would be such a surprise. You are our mate, everyone will know that the second they get a whiff of our newly combined scents. As the Alpha Female you have a say in anything and everything we do, including pack affairs." I stated.

"Sweet heart, being Alpha Female gives you just as much power over the pack as we have." Josh said trying to calm her down a little bit.

"Sometimes even more." I heard Aaron say under his breath. Josh and I both chuckled while Bayne shot daggers at him. "What? I'm just saying, not only do you have power over the pack, but you also have both alphas by the balls... whatever you say goes."

"Aaron!" Tori, who was still a mystery to both myself and my brother, reached over and smacked her mate across the back of his head.

"Ow! Geese woman... I'm trying to illuminate the situation for Bayne here."

"She doesn't need your illumination. She needs to have a word with her mates. Alone!" Tori grabbed Aaron by the ear and led him out of the kitchen, all the while he was whaling about how she was being too ruff with him and how he was sensitive in the ears. When they were out of the room I looked back over to Bayne, she smelled just as sweet as last night. I could smell Josh's scent all over her and knew that they had had a morning session, but that didn't bother me. I knew that there would be mornings where she and I would spend some extra time together and then there would be mornings like today. So long as she smelled like one of us I was happy.

"So, even after last night, you still weren't quite satisfied?" I jokingly teased her. Her face showed shock and possibly slight panic.

"What are you talking about?" She tried to look confused, but she knew exactly what I was talking about.

"I can smell Josh all over you." I smiled at her and took a deep whiff just to emphasis my point. "You're even wearing his shirt." I chuckled when she looked down at herself to see what she was wearing. I trailed my eyes down her body to see one of Josh's flannel shirts paired with a pair of black leggings. Her hair was a mess of waves flowing down her back. She looked incredible, and frankly she smelled even better. I took a deep breath and caught some of her sent under Josh's. It was the same vanilla scent, but it smelled stronger.

"What?" Bayne was looking at me with an eyebrow raised when I brought my eyes up to meet hers.

"Hey, Josh... take a deep breath." He did, then he looked at me with wide eyes.

"I didn't think it would set in this quickly... I thought we would have some time." He said

"What are you two talking about?" Bayne crossed her arms over her chest and looked between us both. I swallowed and had to push my wolf back.

"Your pheromones... they're telling us that your heat is about to start. To anyone else you wouldn't smell any different, but because of our bond we know that your scent is stronger, meaning you've got about ten hours before it starts."

"I always thought heat started a few weeks after a mated couple, you know... mated." Bayne said confused.

"Usually yes... but with Alpha mating there is the push for an heir so it happens a little sooner. I've never heard of it happening quite so fast."

"So what do we do?" Bayne asked. She didn't look nervous but I could feel the emotions she tried to hide on the surface through the bond.

"We take you up to our room and help you through it. I've heard some of the women in the pack house when they go through it... their screams echo in the house and send shivers down my spine." Josh answered. It was a bitter-sweet time when a female went into heat. On the one hand it was great knowing that soon a couple, and our pack, would be blessed a baby. On the other hand, the pain these women went through was excruciating to think about, and when it was your mate the last thing you wanted was for her to be in pain.