Chapter 42

Bayne's POV

I grunted I lay back on the bed in the doctor's office, the twins were being extra active today. This would probably be my last visit before I went into labor. It had been a rough nine months but somehow we made it through. When we announced our pregnancy to the pack everyone was overcome with joy, they got to work right away on a big party the following week to officially congratulate me on the twins, and also to throw a baby shower. Josh and Aiden's mother was more than helpful when I started worrying about if I was going to be a good mother or not, she helped me pick out the furniture for the nursery and made sure I had enough gender neutral cloths for when they arrived. Zackary has been trying to get a good look at the babies to see what the gender was but the little buggers would always be in the wrong position with their backs turned to him. He always made the comment, "They hate the doctor as much as their mother." The truth behind that comment is what makes it funny. Anytime Zackary gets the ultrasound machine out I can feel the babies move, and when he goes to take a look they have their backs to him and sometimes throw up a hand to, as he put it, "flip him off". Today I felt like a beached whale as I tried to move around. Having a watermelon sized bump where there used to be nothing takes some getting used to, especially when the little tykes inside like to press up against your lungs and bladder.

"So, how are you feeling today?" Zackary asked as per usual during these kinds of visits.

"They are both being particularly active today. They keep kicking me every few minutes." As if they heard me they both decided to kick, one attacked the left side and the other attacked the right. Just as they did so I grunted again and frowned down at my stomach as if to scold them. Zackary just laughed, he was enjoying the attitude my unborn babies were giving me. When he finally stopped laughing he grabbed the ultrasound jelly and started moving the wand around. Just as he was starting to get a clearer picture of the twins Josh and Aiden came through the door and to the left side of me.

"Well... can you tell the gender?" Josh asked Zackary. They both had been waiting to know what we were having since we found out I was pregnant but like I said, the babies wanted to surprise us. Zackary frowned and huffed.

"No... the little buggers won't turn around. I'm telling you, they hate me, just like their mother." And there it is, he always finds a way to sneak that comment in somewhere in the visits, but he always wears a smile when he says it. And to be completely honest, I don't hate Zackary so much now. On the first couple visits sure I tried to get out of it, but once I saw how much fun it was to watch Zackary argue with a baby still in its mothers stomach I lightened up a little.

"Aww..." Josh put his head down next to my bulging stomach, "Come on little ones we want to know if you're two little girls or two little boys..."

"Or one of each." Aiden commented also lowering his head to talk directly into my stomach.

"Actually, as you can see here," Zackary pointed out a ring around the babies on the ultrasound screen, "they share a placenta, so they are identical twins... which means they will either be two boys or two girls." Aiden frowned and turned back to the babies.

"He just likes to make me look like a fool, don't listen to him." Aiden whispered, though he wasn't too quiet to begin with.

"Hey, I'm the doctor here. You should always listen to what I say." He turned back to me and got serious, "and that goes double for you Mom-to-be. I want you on bed rest until these two bugger-heads decide they want to say hello to the world. Keep your feet up and keep yourself calm, any stress or exertion could cause you to go into labor before the babies are ready, and that could cause complications. You're not due for another two weeks but we're in crunch time right now... those two could come out anytime between now and next month."