Chapter 5; The Oldies

I was up all night. How can I sleep when my head is pounding so hard? I was just sitting here in my veranda, watching the sun that slowly waking up. The color oranged sky, the cold wind that embraces me and the silent city makes me calm and think that somehow, life is still beautiful.

Yesterday, after I left, I take a cold shower and changed. Then I go to my veranda to watch the city lights. And that's just the time that I feel peacefully and away from the headaches.

Tho, I have already an idea of what would happen today. I was preparing for the upcoming battle. I need to armor up from preventing of getting hurt. But I'm already wounded. What's new?

Nakaka-apat na akong mug ng hot chocolate. I turned off my phone dahil ayokong makatanggap ng anumang pampalobag- loob. I'm disappointed with Benedict and Dad, can't blame them though cause it's my fault after all for keeping it from them.

All I need that time was someone who would defend and fight for me. Someone won't leaved me in times of difficulty. But you're the one who pushes them all away Alexis.

But I was just afraid that they might not understand me. Said my heart.

Afraid? Your just coward Alexis. My mind shout.

Then I shooked my thoughts away. Enough with the truth. Then a sound of my door bell echoed in my unit. I stand up and in a corner of my eye, I saw my clock on the side table and it says it's already 6:25 in the morning. Ang aga pa. Then I smiled hopelessly.

I didn't turn on my monitor to know who was outside. I knew already. I breathe in heavily before I open the door. Then the angry face of my Mom, Lola Esther, Tita Mina, and Tita Lucy welcomes me. On the other side, I saw Dad and Tita Lanie smiled.

" Good morning po. " I greeted them.

But instead of greeting me back, they just come inside my unit. Dad just kissed me in my forehead, while Tita Lanie hugged me. Then pumasok na sila sa loob.

As I closed the door, sumunod narin ako. Tahimik parin sila, but I better knew na isang kalabit lang, they'll explode.

" You want anything po? Like coffee or tea? " I offered. More like breaking the silence.

" Just sit down Alexis. " Mom said coldly. Parang kagabi lang, she called me baby. Tss

Then I obey what she said. I sit down in the vacant space. Right after I sit, Mom began talking.

" My God Alexis! If Mr. Monteverde didn't mention it last night. Hindi pa namin malalaman! You're not planning to tell us huh! Kailangan ba talagang sa iba pa namin malaman? At ito pa, umalis ka ng walang paalam kagabi! Where's your manners, young Lady? And now you learned to keep things from us! Kinuntyaba mo pa ang papa mo? What's happening to you Alexis! " she said angrily. Nakatayo na siya ngayon sa harap ko. She's pacing back and forth. Sobrang pula narin ng mukha niya sa galit.

I was just silent. Lagi naman. Whenever pinapagalitan or pinagsasabihan niya ako, tahimik lang ako lagi. I just cant answer her back with the same anger she has cause it's not right. Ever since I didn't defend myself from all her accusations.

I just keep it inside. Na pagkatapos nito, iiyak ko nalang lahat. Then after, back to normal ulit. Like nothing happened, sanay narin naman ako. And I thought na tapos na siya, hindi pa pala.

" Care to tell us the truth Alexis Samantha Sarmiento Santillan? " she sarcasticaly said. Saying my full name only means na her anger was about to reach it's peaked.

" I-I owned a flower and coffee shop Ma. " I said calmed.

After hearing of what I said, tumaas na naman ang presyon niya.

" What? But I thought your taking Hotel and Restaurant Management because you will take over our business? "

" No ma. "

Napahawak siya sa sentido niya, she looked like I was disgrading our family, like she always does. Na para bang isang napakalaking pagkakamali ng napili kong negosyo.

" It's my life ma, you have nothing to meddle with it. " I bravely said.

Then she looked at me shockedly. Like she can't believe what was I said.

" And now. Marunong ka ng sumagot hija? " Tita Lucy interrupted.

" You're being like Jana, Alexis. " said by Tita Mina. And I could hint disappointment in her voice.

" Anong pinagmamalaki mo apo? Being independent? Na kumikita ka na on your own? That's why your acting mighty now? " said Lola Esther.

I should shut my mouth. Cause whenever I try to explain my side, I always end like I was the villain here.

" It's not that po La. "

" You know what can I do apo. Watch your language. " she said authoritively.

My jaw fell off what Lola said. No! She can't be serious! No! Not my business! That awakens me. I looked straight in her eyes.

" Don't you dare La. " I said furiously.

She never saw it coming. Her eyes got wide and her jaw literal I just can't take it anymore La. You're just too much. Sorry po.

" Try us Alexis. Try us. " threatened Tita Lucy.

" But that's too much! " said Tita Lanie. Defending me.

" She should learn her lesson." Tita Lucy shoots back.

At ngayon, they're facing each other. No one seemed to try to stop them.

" By pulling some strings to make her business down! You are impossible! "

" It's possible Lanie. You knew that. Right? "

And I can't hold my tears anymore. Ang sakit sakit na marinig mula mismo sa kanila, sa sarili mong pamilya. Na sisiw lang para sa kanila na wasakin ang negosyong pinaghirapan ko. Sobrang sakit.

They just stop arguing when they hear my sobs. No one dared to console me. Fuck this life.

I stood up to get my things in my room. I grab my phone, wallet and my keys. Not minding of what I'm wearing then I'm off to. I passed them and ignored their stares. I need to escape dahil baka di ko mapigilan ang sarili ko na sagutin sila. I better knew that I shouldn't meet there anger cause I might say something painful. Irrational pa naman mag-isip ang mga tao pag galit. They might regret it after. At yun ang iniiwasan ko.