1| The Prologue

Chapter 1: The Prologue

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

M E R C Y

I TAKE THE hits one by one, letting them slowly take me away. I could feel the anger and hate through each punch, channeling through me to the point where I wanted to explode.

When I was born, my sister Savannah was 2. Our mum was a kind and an amazing person and as for my dad, there's nothing much to say except he was my everything.

My mum died because of me. She left this world and I never got to meet her. She lost too much blood when giving birth. Savannah and my dad loved her to the point it was impossible to love anymore. Everyone blamed me for it, everyone hated me from the moment I was born. Everyone except my dad and Savannah, but Savannah was two. She didn't know what happened. Neither did I.

At the time, they told us she died from a heart attack in order to stop people from calling me a curse, but it never seemed right. And then our father told us in a letter. A letter. One small piece of paper explaining everything we thought was true.

Last year, he committed suicide.

His letter told us that he loved us too much to leave us, but he couldn't live knowing that the love of his life was gone. Disappeared. Gone poof. So he waited until Savannah was 18, and he left us.

" You're filthy, so fuckin filthy, you go and take away all my happiness and yet you're still here, waiting as if someone's gonna rescue you, but guess what Mercy?! No one cares about you anymore! And that's your fault, you made them all go away!," Savannah screams before hitting me again.

If you couldn't tell, Savannah turned into someone else. She started taking drugs and drinking and now, what can I say?

The world's told me it doesn't love me, and yet here I stand. I think my mum knew what was going to happen, what the world was going to think of me, and she named me the most ironic thing ever. No one gives me mercy, I mean look at me, I'm a mess, and I have to cover it up with makeup.

Savannah's only lenience is makeup. She knows that it's what covers me up from the outside world, my shell, my hiding place. And as long as she's safe, she doesn't care.

" And now I can't kill you! And you wanna know why?" Savannah shouts her eyes tearing up, but the flames unmissable. " Because my own father made me promise never to hurt you, but he never said to what extent, and look where I am now, I have to be here babysitting,"

She punches me again. I sometimes wonder how I don't black out easily, I guess it's because I've gotten used to it, gotten used to the fact that maybe my life will never be like the others at school.

Oh yeah.

I go to school.

Savannah wants me to get away as soon as possible, so when I turn 18 next year, I'll be able to finish my education and leave, and maybe lead what others call a 'normal' life.

But school isn't the easiest place for me either. When people see a weak quiet girl in the corner, not many would want to approach me. Sure I've heard the words pretty here and there, but they've never seen the bruises I work so hard to keep hidden.

So basically I have no friends.

" Now go up to your room and try not to get in my way!" I hear a last scream and she slaps me across the face one last time before I scramble up stairs into a sad excuse of a room.