9|Secrets

Chapter 9: Secrets

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

M E R C Y

" Lucy! Can you take our newcomer to her room!" Carson shouts.

I thought it would have been another Lucy, but the very Lucy who hung out with me for the past couple of days walks into the room, and her eyes widen in shock.

I can't say I'm surprised that she's in a gang though. She seems so secretive that she would be good in a gang. A spy or something probably. I don't even know how I know some of this stuff. Probably the books that I read when I was like 13.

" Mercy?" She stutters, tilting her head.
" You two know each other?" Blake asks, pointing between us both.
" Yeah..She was at that school with me," Lucy says, taking me with her.

" So..how'd you end up here?" Lucy asks.
" I'm pretty sure you've heard and are just confirming it, but um..my home wasn't the..nicest place," I say, trying to be vague, but probably failing miserably.

" Who was it?" Lucy growls. " I'm sorry I just hate it that people do these kind of things," She apologises after, probably thinking she was too violent.
" I'm not some kicked puppy, so don't worry, you don't have to treat me any different, but it was my sister..." I say awkwardly.

I've never really talked about this aloud, let alone to someone else, so it's all new for me.

'' You have a sister?'' She says, looking at me with some shock.
'' Well no,'' I smile sadly, but still with the hnt of sarcasm.

'' It's a messed up world,'' She smiles for the first time.
'' And don't we know it!'' I grin back.

We end up at a large door. " Go on," Lucy says.

I open the door and wow. The room is a light blue colour with a large double bed in the middle. " Well this is...amazing," I mumble, walking in and just flopping onto the bed.

" Have fun, Carson will come up here later," Lucy says, shutting the door behind her.

I spend most of my time just looking through everything. The view from the window is basically just trees and more trees, but oddly comforting.

There are a couple of empty drawers and stuff, but the entire room looks so picture perfect that it's too good to be true.

" Hello Mercy," I hear a deep voice say, walking into the room.
" Hello Carson and Blake," I reply seeing them both walk in.
" Hope you've settled down?" He asks sincerely.
" Yes thank you," I say back politely. I don't particularly want to piss any of these people off.

Blake's eyes are twinkling in the light, analysing me and making feel inexplicably nervous.

" I just wanted to go over some terms, breakfast is at 8, lunch at 1, and dinner at 9, training is between 3 and 7 and the rest is free time unless you have a mission, it's just nicer when everyone eats together," Carson says, the end part making him sound sad.

I guess he wants this to be some sort of family or something. That's really....sweet.

The rest of the night was spent laughing and talking with the people here. It was better than anything I had experienced. I was actually having fun.

Fun.

That's new.

" So, Mercy," Blake says, walking up to me.

Just the way his eyes keep raking my body and everything, almost taking me in, makes me feel so nervous. It's really weird.

He doesn't do it in a creepy way though. He's almost admiring it. But I'm damaged and dead on the inside and outside. So I don't know why.

" Uh hi Blake," I say, plastering a large smile on my face.
" So, how you finding it?" He asks, walking closer and taking a seat next to me.

" It's...great. I didn't think gangs were like this. Most people don't," I think out loud.
" What do you mean?"
" Family, most people see gangs as terrifying monsters who only care about violence, but I guess no one knows how much of a family it is," I reply.

" I was born into this so I guess I'll never know what it's like on the outside, but you're probably right. What we do isn't the best..but we're a different type of gang. There are some gangs out there who kill and torture for pleasure, however we save them to some extent. We'll stop large gangs trying to kidnap girls or whatever. But it usually involves death. It's inevitable," He shrugs.

I just give him a small smile. " Yeah, life is inevitable,"

 " Yeah, life is inevitable,"

Wow. I don't even know what I'm writing anymore. It's all really bad but ugh.

Valentin D'hoore as Blake Carter