24

I know you hate me I know.

---|-/---

It was the night of the party. Tyler was nervous for many reasons. First of all, he's not a big party person. He knew that lots of people are going to this party and his anxiety might take over. Which brings up the second reason: many people have a possibility of being drugged. There was a big chance that these alleged drug dealers Josh saw were coming to this party. He needed to be careful.

The police called Josh yesterday afternoon. The officer said that the license plate ended up being fake, so they had no leads they could follow to arrest anyone. This made both Tyler and Josh even more anxious. Because the police had nowhere to start, nothing was going to be done.

"A fake license plate?" Tyler asked Josh after he told him. "This is bad."

"It is." Josh nodded. "Because the police won't be continuing the investigation, we'll just have to be very careful."

"And not drink anything." Tyler added.

The party was starting in exactly one hour. Josh wanted to get there earlier, but Chris wasn't ready yet. Chris had agreed to be tonight's ride.

"Nick and Chris should be here in about ten minutes." Josh said impatiently.

Tyler doesn't get scared very easily, but this time he was. Josh was as worried as Tyler even though he didn't want to admit it. Not only for his own safety, but other's as well.

Debby was already ready for her own party. She had bought a brand new short black dress specifically for the occasion the day before. Jenna had arrived to help with snacks and to give her advice. Jenna sat on Debby's bed watching Debby turn around in front of a big mirror she had in her room, keeping in mind what Tyler told her. She was trying to convince Debby to go try to stop any strangers from entering her house.

"We should go stand by the front door." Jenna suggested as Debby admired her new outfit in front of the mirror. As always, she was trying to be safe about things like she has always been. She's been taught to not leave her drink alone and to always keep an eye on it, not talk to strangers or take anything from them.

"What for?"

"I told you about the possible drug dealers that might be coming." Jenna repeated herself. "You shouldn't let strangers in."

"Everyone is welcome." Debby ignored Jenna's worries. "If you're so scared then you can leave, you didn't have to come."

Debby's anger was getting the best of her. She was mad at her parents for not being able to be with her to start the new year, and mad at the rest of the world. All she wanted was a little attention for once in her life, the attention her parents could never give her because they're always so busy now. Too busy travelling because of their military jobs to be with their one and only daughter. Too busy to care about her or to listen to her. She didn't want to feel so lonely and empty all the time. This was the main reason for the party: she didn't want to be alone.

"You're right, I didn't have to come. But I did anyways."

"Why?"

"Because you're my friend. You shouldn't start the new year with a bunch of strangers." Jenna said kindly.

"I guess." Debby shrugged, trying not to show too much emotion.

Jenna and Debby heard the doorbell ring, making Debby get rid of her feelings of loneliness. They both raced down the stairs to the main floor where the entrance was, wondering who would be here so early.